Wheelbuilders.

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have now masked the centres of the rims and taken them to be lightly blasted to take paint. I have bought black primer and gloss in spray cans several top coats to be applied to build up the finish. For the pin striping the same car paint suppliers in Thornton Heath have supplied post office red and a hardener this to be applied in a single coat lapping onto the black and carefully applied with a pinstriping brush when I find such, it was suggested to use a rat tail brush so I phoned Wrights of Lymm who wondered what I was talking about, they said that for pinstriping there are several options one option would be a sword liner so now I need exactly the right brush for the job. I hope also to redo the gold lining on the tank the latter is in good order except for the lining being worn. I have read that it should be possible to redo the gold lining by masking the line edges and lightly rubbing down the existing gold and after repainting the lining applying a lacquer over the top, thus avoiding the need to respray an otherwise good tank. What do you think?

Chris.R

VOC Member
The sign painters use One Shot enamel here in the states. I'm sure the equivalent can be found in others locales. Vic's right on the degreasing tanks. BSA would nickle/chrome plate the whole tank but only polish the sides, leaving the rougher center for the paint to adhere to. Striping the edge between painted and chrome is a little trickier because of the height difference but it's not that bad with a little practice.

I have not found a paint here in UK similar to what you mention here, it increasingly seems to me that we in the UK are being deprived of so much of what we used to have in bygone years. I do understand how important it is to degrease surfaces preparation is 90% of any job.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I just typed 'sign writing paints' into a search engine and found lots of ads for the paint shown in #30 above which all come in from the USA. However, looking down the list there is a firm called Wrights of Lymm Ltd who do a wide range of colours including several reds which might be about correct for the wheel rims. I have no connection with the company and no experience of their products but they do a lot of sign writing equipment there.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thanks Tim but I was referring to the paints they supply, presumably with the correct viscosity for either a brush or a pin striper.