H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Wheel rims rusted

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
My Rapide C's chromed wheel rims are quite badly rusted. The only rust on the bike really. I've tried Autosol but I think they're too far gone.
They're black in the centre with thin red strips. Just wondering if a quick turnaround restore is available in the UK. Based near Cambridge.

I like to ride the Vin especially as the weather's improving but I do spend quite a bit of time spannering on it.
Kind of rolling improvements.
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240414_105731.jpg
    20240414_105731.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 42

kerry

VOC Member
Willis Wheels recently laced a 20" Devon rim with stainless spokes for me and actually had the rim professionally painted and lined first, not too far for you and a reasonable cost.

fogrider

VOC Member
When (if) getting a quote for re-chroming, make sure you tell them there is no need to chrome the centre part, just the smooth outer edges. Polishing the centre part with the spoke nipples takes ages and wrecks their polishing mops, they don't like that !
Just the outer edges is easy for them. Paint adheres better to the non polished centre too.

danno

Non-VOC Member
When (if) getting a quote for re-chroming, make sure you tell them there is no need to chrome the centre part, just the smooth outer edges.
Thanks. So they'll mask the centre area and repaint. I'm assuming the current finish is as original. Conway Motors restored the bike in the early nineties.

fogrider

VOC Member
Re-chromers are most unlikely to do the re-paint for you. Too busy re-chroming. But your photo shows Conways had it right by the look of it. There is a dimension for the red line, I think 3/32" but best to check .

danno

Non-VOC Member
Re-chromers are most unlikely to do the re-paint for you. Too busy re-chroming.
Ok thanks. Thought it may be a one stop shop job. At least there'll be able to see how it should be.
Then there's the wheel rebuilding after the painting.

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I did a front rim for a Vin in Sammy Miller's museum. Masked off and rattle can sprayed the centre black and then used a Bugler pin striper for the red lines. I am not artistically gifted but it looked OK so it can be done.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Masked off and rattle can sprayed the centre black and then used a Bugler pin striper for the red lines.
I've used Frost black chassis spray paint a few times. That might do.
Will look into the pin striper.

A multi stage job by the look of it.
Take complete wheels to chrome shop.
Collect dismantled rechromed wheels.
Hopefully DIY paint the rims.
Reassemble the wheels (which I've never done before).

eharris

VOC Member
Ok thanks. Thought it may be a one stop shop job. At least there'll be able to see how it should be.
Then there's the wheel rebuilding after the painting.
I think Willis Wheels will do it all for you, if that's what you want. It'd recommend giving them a call to find out. Perfectly pleasant when I dealt with them.