Wet Multiplate Tips, Please

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I run a videan multiplate clutch in my egli and it is OK but really needs a bit more lift (neutral very hard to find), is there a way of acheiving this?
thanks
mark

That is the big problem. There is a mod using (I think) a series B gearbox cover that allows you move bits around to change the lever ratio, that's as much as I know, but I know a man to ask if no one mentions it here.

Being a simple person, I use a simple mod. I'm fairly sure the thing that limits the travel is the conical "spacer" that the cable enters the gearbox through. I put washers under this (so it doesn't go as far into the gearbox), so that the lever travels further before it hits it. The big drawback is, to take advantage of this you have to have extra movement available at the handlebar lever, and a finger reach to suit. I did this mod last century, so there may have been something else as well, but I don't think so.

H

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
i fitted a multiplate to my twins, the first had an undrilled outer cover, so i leaned it over onto the opposite propstand and dribbled as much oil as i could into the bottom of the housing, then refitted the outercover using a non setting sealer, whose name I forget ( think its known as gorrilla snot), that one has been fine but sometimes slips.
The other one was a more recent conversion using the same kit, the cover had been heavily ventilated in the past, so i filled alll of the holes bar one at the top back with araldite, refitted with Gorrilla snot and put 4 decent squirts of oil in from a oil can and that is now fine.
Initial problems i had with the later kit were traced too there being too much play in the location of the drum, which seemed to dislodge the plates and cause overheating and slippage, i packed out the drum by 1 m6 plain washer and that solved that, my current problem is that the new push rods i fitted seem to be made of chocolate and quickly lose adjustment in traffic.
The springs in the later kit seem to be heavier and i have ordered some for the rapide, although the slippage stopped last time i took it out.

JimR

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks Jim.

That's interesting. Sounds like there's very little oil required, I was thinking it needed a bath, I'll try Ernie's idea, until I can do something more permanent over Winter.

ET43 recommends silver steel clutch push rod, and I think that's what I've got - it's hard to remember mods you did 30 years ago and haven't touched since. It's easy to harden, and if you cut it in half and put a bearing and some grease in, it works a treat - ET43 uses a 1/4" roller, I use a 1/4" ball - your choice.

H

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
I used 5/16 mild steel rod. When cut to length I case hardened the ends - heat to red with a blow lamp and quenched in old engine oil.

clevtrev

VOC Member
I used 5/16 mild steel rod. When cut to length I case hardened the ends - heat to red with a blow lamp and quenched in old engine oil.
Mild steel rod is NOT oil hardenable, cynanide harden only, and then only the right grade.

vibrac

VOC Member
What about Kasenit case hardening powder for mild steel or is that unobtanium now as well?

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
okay, let me ask the question again, is there a way to get extra lift on the clutch other than the "washer method" mentioned earlier. I had heard there was a way of modifying the G91 in some way to achieve extra lift...ring any bells?