Wet Multiplate Tips, Please

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Modyfying the G91 will do nothing for you. Using a slightly different type of thrust pin (ET27/1AS) will give at most a few thou. A handle bar lever with a longer pivot to nipple distance will work and the washer dodge will also help. Good luck.

Howard

VOC Member
okay, let me ask the question again, is there a way to get extra lift on the clutch other than the "washer method" mentioned earlier. I had heard there was a way of modifying the G91 in some way to achieve extra lift...ring any bells?

From someone who's had a multiplate for 36 years and frequently pondered the problem of getting more lift, sometimes in a warm bed on a sleepless night, and sometimes sitting at the side of a road waiting for the clutch to cool and the traffic to clear ........ There ain't no easy solution. It's all about levers - Archimedes said he could move the world with a lever - he picked the easy problem - he never met my clutch lever!!

G91 was never meant for a multiplate, the lever ratio is all wrong, and I can't see an easy way to change the ratio, because you need to add length below the push rod, so you need a longer G91 and a resited adjuster screw. I think this is the mod I hinted at earlier, but it's a lot of work, and without stripping bits of my gearbox to try it, I'm not sure it would give that much improvement.

I opted for more movement of G91, but as I said, I'm limited by span. TT is right about different pivot ratios on the lever, but I've never found the right one - there may be one, I just haven't found it.

So my latest train of thought is to use the washer spacers (OK I can make a proper job if it works, but it's not seen anyway) to give the max travel possible at the push rod. All I need to do then is operate it using my limited finger span. So...how about splitting the clutch cable and using an intermediate lever (or pulley) to increase the cable travel????? Trade off with levers - half the travel at the lever= twice the force required, but there should be a happy medium. And my biggest next problem is, there's no free space on an Egli to fit a lever system. I could design a pulley in a box to do the job, but I'm enjoying riding when I have free time, not pratting about in the garage.

OK that's enough for now - my brain hurts.

H

ps I think I've just thought how to do it, but Boring Work beckons, so watch this space over the weekend.

vibrac

VOC Member
VOC spares company do an ET27/2SS that may give you just the extra bit you need. And you can always put a wedge under the clutch handlebar clamp to tilt the lever outwards and get an bit extra handlebar lever swing.
Anyway the ET27/2SS seemed to do the trick for me

Black Flash

VOC Member
I do not have a twin cover to look into, but if there is sufficient room for the lever from outer cover to inner cover and it is just a question of leverage ( I mean the amount of cable that has to be pulled), why not use a clutch ligtener in the opposite way. It will make the clutch harder to pull, but this will happen anyway if you want to increase the travel.
klick here: http://www.sammymillerproducts.co.uk/752
As I said, I haven't had time to think about it deeper, but maybe this is an idea.

Bernd

P.S. with this link you can see the inside: http://www.trialsbits.co.uk/index.php?cPath=58_64

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks Bernd,

That's just what I was talking about, I knew someone must make them, I haven't looked since I've had the internet. Only one concern, I'm not sure there'll be any more movement with this one, as you say, it's meant to work the opposite way.

H

clevtrev

VOC Member
A clutch lever with 1 1/4" pitch is the start. The amount you can lift is governed by the total travel of the lever between the G50/ end of abutment, and the cover, maybe sometimes the inspection cap.
You can modify the lever by welding an extension, and repositioning the adjust point. But you do not really need to go to that extreme, if you set it with the above.

Howard

VOC Member
My advice Howard, for what it's worth, is to try oiling the plates first before you go the whole wet clutch thing.

Ernie - You are the man! Took 5 minutes getting lots of 20/50 round the clutch, and it's like a different clutch altogether. That will keep me going till Winter, then I can try one of the other more permanent fixes. That's the problem of tunnel vision, I'd always thought it would take a lot of oil, so I hadn't tried the obvious.

H

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Ernie - You are the man! Took 5 minutes getting lots of 20/50 round the clutch, and it's like a different clutch altogether. That will keep me going till Winter, then I can try one of the other more permanent fixes. That's the problem of tunnel vision, I'd always thought it would take a lot of oil, so I hadn't tried the obvious.

H

Well, thank you! For me that is a permanent fix. Just do it again when you check the plates for wear, we do that at the annual service don't we?

As for extra lift, just as Trev sez, tho my clutch lever only has 1 1/8th pitch - commonly available size - and for a gnat's more lift, mount the lever on the knuckle of the handlebar. I use a lever with 7/8 pitch for a tiny bit more leverage on the front brake.