Well it's a V Twin !

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Take a look at Allen Millyard's youtube channel, and the pretty amazing engineering feats this chap can accomplish from what appears to be little more than a garden shed (of sorts) Britain's answer to Dan Smith perhaps. I love his V twin Velocette creation, also his approach to quite complex tasks, for me anyway, a copper cylinder head gasket for a six cylinder Kawasaki engine that he created. Hours of fun watching this clever unassuming man, also love his 100 year old Atco lawnmower and his Ducatiesque downhill mountain bike made for his Son a few years ago.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
A few things I am curious about:
How did he make the radius at the corner of his cuts on the flywheels?
The bearing puller is ingenious, but the force is still transmitted through the balls and race sides; did a bearing separator not work?
Is using anti-seize to lube things while pressing the crankpin in typical?
The new crankpin at 1:50 doesn't seem to have shoulders, how did he keep from pinching the rods between the flywheels?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
To me He is a bit like the late Great John Britten,
A good inspiration to me, I hope :) , I need it.
Well I have a 2 angle grinders, One with a cutter and one with a Flap Wheel, So there is not much I can't do ???.
Bruce the Flap Wheel does a good corner, Once they have worn a bit.
Plus He says He has a lot of Files !.
I have seen an anti seize used a lot on youtube to help stop galling, Must admit there was bad galling when I pressed out the Mainshafts on my Project, I will use WD40 to redo it.
They just press the Flywheels together till there is the right clearance.
Also I think He must have another Shed ?, I would love to see Him do some of the Welding.
What a Clever Man.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
I have known many first class engineers in my time. Many know so much engineering knowledge that they would not attempt anything like Alenn does, because it "would not be sound engineering practice". On the other hand, I have also known many shut knife carpenters and shade tree mechanics who have created incredible creations. I'm probably in the former category!

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Bruce,
My guess as to how he knows what the right clearance is, is that if you look at the crank before he breaks it up, the pin is flush on the outside to both flywheels. Before breaking up the flywheel use a feeler gauge measure up he total gap between the con rod big end and divide by 2. That's the gap between the flywheels on each side of the con rod. Or once apart measure the thickness of the con rod and the two flywheels, subtract that from the overall length of the crank pin. That's the total clearance. Add half of that and the the thickness of the con rod to the current crank pin and you have the length of the double crank pin, assuming that it is flush on the outside of both flywheels and the clearance between the two rods is the same as the clearance the single rod and flywheels.
Steven

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If you look carefully the bearing puller grips the inside of OUTER race between the balls by pivoting on the sprocket.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Yes Bruce, wasn't thinking straight, for some reason my brain imagined it was pulling the bearing out of a housing ????????????????