Welcome to new forum website member, lee_812d

lee_812d

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yeah a good clean will start to make it look good, the exhaust and seat definitely need replacing, as do the tyres. It does have a really good patina, and I am not one to polish things too much as I prefer it a bit less shiny both for the looks and the fact it requires less polishing thereafter.
The tank is the annoying bit - it looks like it's been over painted with a brush. If I got it professionally painted it might stick out like a sore thumb, although with the previous mentioned new parts and the mudguards a bit shinier it might not be so obvious. Maybe something can be done with the paint that's on there.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I love the polished look, I have found once polished, It will look good even with a quick wipe over,
I can't see the point of nicely painted Tanks, Too easy to damage,
So I like Tank Covers, Cheap and you can put a Magnetic Tank Bag on top,
You will need to carry a few Spanners and Spares, And Water !, These are 70 years old !.
Just my thoughts .
Good luck, Bill.

Attachments

• DSCN0092.JPG
    DSCN0092.JPG
    384.2 KB · Views: 9

lee_812d

VOC Member
The bike used to have a tank cover so that would be a good way to go, especially as I like to use a tank bag myself. Plus it means I could consider sorting/respraying the tank myself for the not so professional look.

Here's a couple of pictures of the Honda Bros I used to own (I had it about 19 years, rode it to Land's End and John 'O Groats, with only 33hp it was flat out between fuel stops, loaded up with tank bag and panniers. I could only bring myself to sell it once I'd seen it go over the 100k km on the odometer). This shows the level of shine I was thinking about. I painted the tank myself on this with rattle cans and I don't think it looked too bad, but they do get scratched and stone chipped easy.

Attachments

• bros2_s.jpg
    bros2_s.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 18
  • bros1_s.jpg
    bros1_s.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 18