Welcome to new forum website member, Alyson

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I recall reading somewhere, perhaps in the forward of KTB, that the main reason Vincent failed was the high selling price of the motorcycles, which " approached the price of a new home in some areas". I found that shocking but until now I hadn't checked the accuracy of that claim.

The only pertinent info I've found states "Terraced houses in the London area could be bought for £395 in the mid-1930s when average earnings were about £165 per year."
That was high priced London! Presumably Manchester or Liverpool would be less costly.

There was very little inflation in UK housing prices until the mid 50s.

Weren't new post war twins about 350 GBP?+-

If so, it's fair to say that if you had 3-400 GBP to spend, you could buy a Terraced house or a Vincent, but not both.

Glen

Last edited:

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My only personal interaction on the matter was around 1986 or 87. I had been to a wedding in Abbotsford on the Woolly (K was home with a nasty cold) and stayed for the ceremony and a couple of short glasses of punch at the reception and then headed off to the Clegg B-B-Que in Vancouver. By the time I was just getting into suburban Vancouver I felt like I was pretty pissed and had no idea why. After a fairly aggressive launch from a stop light it seemed I was going to be interviewed by the local constabulary, so had to be rather cautious in where I looked. Having got past the credentials and the lecture I was told that there would be nothing more than a warning if I spent 5 minutes talking to his partner about my Vincent, as the partner had to part with his some years previous to make a down payment on his house. Feeling quite cocky by now I said I thought 10 minutes might be more appropriate.

Of course I learned a few days later that there was a rookie on the punch mixing at the wedding who had put ALL the booze in the bowl and then what he could of the juices etc to fill the bowl, probably a 75% alc/25%mix ratio!

I should add that Alyson seems to have got her priorities straight anyway......