Vincent Silencer

Jim Bush

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here is a look inside a recent VOC Spares purchase sprial muffler - seems to be right from the comments above: outer perf core, 1/2" centre tube, about 7" to 8" long and continuous spiral baffles welded to the centre core tube. Haven't run it yet, so hoping things don't change.

20200620_125721 (2)_sm.jpg

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I think the originals were "carbjector", Brough Superior used them as well, in fact they were exactly the same "body" including the spiral baffle but with 2" pipes in and out for the early SS100s , I made my own by getting a friend to use his drawing program to transpose sections of the spiral onto flat, then had them laser cut, these were welded end to end like a multiple thackery washer then stretched to form the spiral and welded onto a thin wall tube and attached to the body where accessible before fitting the ends.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think that the VOC drawing committee were involved in the design of the new silencer as I said before mph 641 should tell the story of the joint effort

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
In the olden days, say 50 years ago, there were 'fast' Vincent silencers and 'slow' Vincent silencers. Both had spiral baffles around a central tube. The difference was the diameter of the central tube. Some were noticeably larger than the others and those were the 'fast' ones. From memory, which is a frail thing. the sizes were something like 3/8" and 5/8" or 3/4".

vibrac

VOC Member
Just dug out MPH 641 (2002) and the article is by John Renwick and was a back to back test on his dynamometer with the VOC silencer and "another supplier" silencer showing 8bhp increase for the VOC silencer
interesting reading

Rixon

VOC Member
Some spiral baffle silencers were made by splitting large "penny" washers, twisting them, and tacking them together. Bloody awful! I had one and the tacks broke and all the washers stacked up in the end of the can. Plod reckoned it sounded like an anti-aircraft gun going down the street. Cheers, Stu.

You accidently invented the Supertrapp silencer. Pity you didn't patent it. ;)

Rixon

VOC Member
Has anyone got a picture looking up an original (period) spiral baffle silencer ? I want to compare it with the silencer I've got.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Caution should be exercised when viewing spiral baffles in drawings. As I understand it, a sectioned drawing was done by an artist who had only been told of spiral baffle, he hadn't actually seen one. Subsequent manufacture of silencers to the drawing produced a very restrictive unit. Cheers Stu.