Vincent Silencer

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
One member who shall remain nameless wondered why his Twin suddenly became much quieter.This was due to the baffles in his silencer breaking up and blocking the outlet.. Obviously a poor quality item since replaced.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Often the sound from a bike improves once the silencer is carboned up a bit. I have noticed this two or three times. My Vincent was the loudest bike I owned when I first put it together with the straight through Toga. Once it had a few thousand miles on it, it wasn't that loud anymore. I have a 75 900ss Ducati with Conti replica mufflers. It sounded very harsh at first but once carboned up from a few thousand miles of riding it is mellow sounding.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Maybe it was your ears “getting carboned up”, ie, adjusting to the noise level. Ha ha

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Actually, there is some truth to it. When I was a teenager, some debris got in one ear, from swimming/surfing in the ocean. It slowly reduced my hearing in that ear. My overall hearing was okay, but I did favor one ear over the other for phone conversations. Then sometime later, was at the doctor for something else, and a routine check of my ear, discovered the partial blockage. The doc flushed out my ear, and I had “super” hearing, everything was amplified in that one ear. My body had made adjustments to compensate. After about a week, that one ear returned to normal.

vibrac

VOC Member
Thats it in a nutshell Stu the proper spiral barrel silencer is a complex design and lash ups called spiral barreled just confuse the issue

Albervin

VOC Member
John Surtees was one of the first racers to use ear plugs. Geoff Duke was another. John told me that he went faster when using earplugs because he rode by what he saw and felt and not what he heard.

vibrac

VOC Member
Untill racers have mirrors or rear cameras hearing the guy behind you is often the only clue you have to shut the door I suppose back then with megger exhausts you had no chance

A_HRD

VOC Member
I once (20 years ago?) saw a complete spiral baffle assembly which ClevTrev had made - I think from CNC out of solid!! Whatever, it was extremely strong and lightweight and a work of art. ClevTrev might see this and add a photo - and correct me in the process(?).
Peter B

oexing

VOC Member
Yesterday I had a look at a chromed TOGA silencer I got a long time ago for the Vincent. It has a perforated tube inside, straight through and some filling around the tube. You can tell by knocking it with the finger nail, muted and no bright ding like with no filling of wool. I believe it to be reasonably quiet but it seems TOGA is no longer existent as a company ?

Vic