Vincent HRD Engined Cars

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Greg, if you fitted two twin chokes to a mini it must have been an "eight port head". The cam would have been so hot, even god could not make it idle! the racers actually fitted four amals. The whole shooting match was very expensive , and not much faster. Imagine four open bellmouths sticking out of the bonnet (hood) catching the sh(debris) of the car in front.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Roy, Sadly no just a normal 5 port Siamese head, though I did open the ports large enough to break into the pushrod tubes.............:rolleyes:............The carb's were Pumper Delorto's like off a Ducati. A good friend and his brother raced a Clubman Mini with an 8 port head using twin side draught Webber's.

vibrac

VOC Member
Racing minis (real minis not those oversize jokes of today) now have overhead camshaft heads courtesy of K100 BMW engines . How do I know that? Its where Ben got his ECU unit to retro fit to his flying brick. sometimes rarely in my experience car engine technology is ahead of bikes

Garry Simkin

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi David, thank you for the welcome and encouraging me to join the forum.
One point that i feel needs clarifying relates to the picture on post 23 here, and your response. The leading car is in fact Lex Davison in the Cooper Mk 4 , chassis number 104150, and the following car is Ern Tadgell in his Porsche Special. This was taken at the very first meeting on the Phillip Island circuit, as opposed to the previously used road circuit. The date was december 15, 1956, it was the very first race and had a race for F3 500ccc cars, held concurrently over 3 laps and won by Murray Rainey in his Cooper. The other cars ran over 8 laps, with Lex first and Tadgell second. Third was Ron Edgerton then Otto Stone. Rainey carried on and finished fifth.
Lex won two Australian Hillclimb championships in this car, along with much other success. It went through many owners over the years and i obtained it in the early 1990s in an engineless and tired shape. With help from Terry Prince an engine was built up and i have had many enjoyable race meetings with the car. Next planned event to compete in is at Mallala SA in April.
Garry Simkin

Garry Simkin

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
David, i have not only seen Ians car at his place many years ago, i saw it hillclimbing on a number of occassions in Steve Borehams hands as a youngster in NZ in the early 1970s. He ran a variety of engines, including BSA twin and a Norton twin. Technically its not really a Cooper, though was always called one. It was built up by former motor cycle racer Syd Jensen and did utilise many Cooper components in what was described as a locally built chassis. Syd had previously owned other 500cc Coopers. Ians car non the less has an interesting and well documented history going back to about 1957.
Garry Simkin.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Some years back I sat in that Car Ian towed me in his ute we put the tow rope on the front bumper off the ute, Ian drove back wards and we started the car, the Engine is a Black Shadow C with the gear box cut off,

ossie

VOC Member
Jack Brabham started car racing with a Cooper Vincent, in PEI book there is Cooper Mk1v supercharged vincent that he did work on owned by Lex Davison, and The fIying Bedstead owned by Reg Hunt with the ex Les Warton engine 1C/1803
i thought the flying bedstead was an attempted four poster frame thing used to develop vertical takeoff planes. was secured to the ground by several cables .??