Vincent HRD Engined Cars

Don McInnes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
1C/1803 is in Sands speedcar, maybe I got it wrong again, I thought it was in Reg Hunt's car too, someone will tell us if that is correct or not, David B .........can you help us?
Thanks

Bill Thomas

VOC Member

greg brillus

VOC Member
Bill I had the opposite problem on a hotted up 1275 Mini years ago, when I installed a pair of 40 mm delortos' on it, I couldn't get it to idle. Seems some carb's are designed for multi cylinders and bike carby's one per cylinder..........Go figure.

vibrac

VOC Member
The Triumph Thunderbird ( from 1952 to 1958) was the only bike that ran well on SU carbs (Now I wait to hear about the 'other one :)
perhaps thats because it ran on a split manifold maybe the piston in the SU doesn't like the wild variation in pressure from a single cylinder and why they sometimes appear on supercharged plots

vibrac

VOC Member
Bill I had the opposite problem on a hotted up 1275 Mini years ago, when I installed a pair of 40 mm delortos' on it, I couldn't get it to idle. Seems some carb's are designed for multi cylinders and bike carby's one per cylinder..........Go figure.
The vanwall race car engine which was 4 manx nortons in a inline four had single carbs, even stranger....
Vanwall.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We had a small sports car which should have had S.U.s come into the shop, It had Monoblocs !, It was as rough as old boots !.
Vibrac, You are right, I forgot I had one of those, Ran well. Shame about the Bike !!.

vibrac

VOC Member
They are GP's and very large ones too, but after some digging I believe they only controlled the air flow and injectors did the fuel so I think your comment #44 Greg is still valid cars don't do single carbs well. unless someone knows different;)