Misc: Everything Else Vibration

nickp76

Forum User
VOC Member
Newly acquired bike?
A most simple thing to check is, whether your tyres are properly seated on the rim.
Then check for trued rims.
yes new to me, just got to use it more rather than look at it in the lockup, the tyres are in good nic and fitted well on the rims, i seam to have a bit of side wards movement on the rear swing arm (RFM) , thanks for you help on this question

nickp76

Forum User
VOC Member
Tyres good?
Many sit unused and become ovalish can feel like a clown car as you accelerate...
Headstock tightened correctly?
Swing arm RFM bearings correct torqued and spaced right.
Wheels in alignment?
Wheel rims true?
Rear and front wheel bearings adjusted right?

I would say it is one of the above.

Does it feel better on right handers or left handers?
On the way down in speed does the wobble return?

A well sorted Comet is a handling thing of joy at speed on a twisty road.
Al
Hello, Thanks for the check list, the tyres are good (4yrs old ish ) and I've had it jacked up slightly off the ground, the wheels seam to be seated well on the rims and both run true , to be honest I haven't noticed anything untoward regarding cornering and there is no wobble when slowing down, the rear brakes are rubbing slightly but i have noticed some side wards movement on the rear swingarm (RFM). I'm looking forward to the twisty roads when this is sorted, thanks again

nickp76

Forum User
VOC Member
Swing arm pivot bearings not set up well then........either internal or external shimming incorrect........Another big one is check the tension on the rear drive chain with you sat on the bike........50% of bikes I get through my shop the rear chains are way too tight.
hi , the chain was my first thought when i first felt the shaking/wobble so looked down and could see it flexing up and down , that's when all the other questions started going through my head, which brought me here and I'm so grateful for all the advice I have had.

nickp76

Forum User
VOC Member
If it only does it under load then how about engine shock absorber springs? - Assuming all of the above suggestions are ok.
Hi Peter , sorry to sound naive and I probably need my eyes testing but I have looked on the bike and in a couple of books I have but cannot pinpoint the engine shock absorber springs,
I have found some sideways movement in the rear swingarm so will look into fixing this first,
As I said to Greg I'm so grateful for all the advice I have had so far

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The engine shock absorber is under the primary cover on the end of the crankshaft. I would check the swing arm first!

David

teunvandriel

VOC Member
I had it once too. Check the studs (high tension steel) and nuts (FT126) of the UFM, possibly studs are broken, is hard to see because of rust and paint on the nuts

vibrac

VOC Member
Hi Peter , sorry to sound naive and I probably need my eyes testing but I have looked on the bike and in a couple of books I have but cannot pinpoint the engine shock absorber springs,
I have found some sideways movement in the rear swingarm so will look into fixing this first,
As I said to Greg I'm so grateful for all the advice I have had so far
Do go onto the vincent spares site www.vincentspares.co.uk all the drawings and available parts are shown on the web shop
support the bike securely under the engine and remove the rear wheel and rear springs then its not to bad a job you may need a set of shims
here is part of the drawing
1688462415183.png