Misc: Everything Else Vibration

nickp76

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi I am new to the Vincent world and have lots to learn, I am getting a vibration/shaking/wobble from the back of the bike (Comet) while I am accelerating through the gears, once up to cruising speed (50-60 mph) and I ease of the throttle it rides lovely and smooth, I have gone over the bike and cannot find any bolts/fitting that are loose, can anyone help as to what I should look for next. Thank you in advance

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Check your wheel bearings you should have a minimum movement at the rim
excessive movement is not the disaster it is with most bikes you have taper wheel bearing shim until you have minimal float and the brake plates dont rub. NB. Basically the same shim and bearings are also used on the rear frame pivot

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Check the above first, also there is a spacer, F112, fitted between the right-hand side of the rear frame pivot and the inside of the G50/1 pivot plate. It is alloy, 1/2" x 1 3/8" x 5/16" wide. It sits on FT33 stud. It is not shown in the original Spares List. Also get the nuts, bolts and Thackeray washers on the rear stand lugs fairly snug.

vibrac

VOC Member
Here it is on the vincentspares webshop drawings
1688389099493.png

MarBl

VOC Member
Newly acquired bike?
A most simple thing to check is, whether your tyres are properly seated on the rim.
Then check for trued rims.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Tyres good?
Many sit unused and become ovalish can feel like a clown car as you accelerate...
Headstock tightened correctly?
Swing arm RFM bearings correct torqued and spaced right.
Wheels in alignment?
Wheel rims true?
Rear and front wheel bearings adjusted right?

I would say it is one of the above.

Does it feel better on right handers or left handers?
On the way down in speed does the wobble return?

A well sorted Comet is a handling thing of joy at speed on a twisty road.
Al

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
If it only does it under load then how about engine shock absorber springs? - Assuming all of the above suggestions are ok.

nickp76

Forum User
VOC Member
Check your wheel bearings you should have a minimum movement at the rim
excessive movement is not the disaster it is with most bikes you have taper wheel bearing shim until you have minimal float and the brake plates dont rub. NB. Basically the same shim and bearings are also used on the rear frame pivot
thank you for your check list, i have no movement on the wheel bearings and the tyres are both sitting in the rims well, i have noticed i have a bit of side wards movement in the rear swingarm (RFM) in moves up and down smoothly but a bit concerned regarding the side direction movement

nickp76

Forum User
VOC Member
Check the above first, also there is a spacer, F112, fitted between the right-hand side of the rear frame pivot and the inside of the G50/1 pivot plate. It is alloy, 1/2" x 1 3/8" x 5/16" wide. It sits on FT33 stud. It is not shown in the original Spares List. Also get the nuts, bolts and Thackeray washers on the rear stand lugs fairly snug.
hi , ive checked the wheel bearings and tires they all seems well , ive checked the F112 spacer is fitted, but i have noticed some side wards movement in the rear swingarm (RFM)

greg brillus

VOC Member
Swing arm pivot bearings not set up well then........either internal or external shimming incorrect........Another big one is check the tension on the rear drive chain with you sat on the bike........50% of bikes I get through my shop the rear chains are way too tight.