E: Engine Verdigris

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
All ewarts failures causing leak past have been from cork sealed units drying out.
Did replace with the replacement modern bores from the spares company, not impressed with these very tight fit unusable really.
Did all the usual to free them up but after a while back to very tight hard to open.
The ewarts are in the box for the next owner.

highbury731

VOC Member
There's a Ewarts round sliding tap on my Norton. On a hot day, the main tap slides closed, rather too often. It has cork seals on it. Are the rubber (viton?) ones sold by VOC Spares better?
Paul

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Nope they may seal better but are a pain to fit into the bore of the tap need honed and greased not ideal bit the bullet through them in a box and replace with ss ball valve taps much safer much better.
Al

Speedtwin

VOC Member
I got mine on e bay from Vinforlifepart very good quality all set up for the rapide with a fuel and a reserve side. come complete with washers the works.
About 36 quid delivered from what I remember.
I have bought a couple of sets over the last two years all I use now no more fuel on the floor.

LoneStar

VOC Member
There's a Ewarts round sliding tap on my Norton. On a hot day, the main tap slides closed, rather too often. It has cork seals on it. Are the rubber (viton?) ones sold by VOC Spares better?
Paul

Not sure about the VOC ones, but I've used a set of Viton O-rings sold on Ebay with success for some years now. Extremely cheap, preserve the original petcocks, and they haven't leaked yet. They are a bit too tight as delivered, but this is easily rectified by threading them on a rod, spinning, and sanding down the OD slightly.