Using Racing Tyres on the Road

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Skinny tires are great for flickability, but if it is designed for 500 pounds but you are loading it with 700 pounds and staking two lives on it, maybe not so great?

Glen

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
I had 19" Avon GP rear and 19" Speed master ribbed front on my Clubmans Goldie, steered lovely, and loads of grip, way beyond the ground clearance of the bike.
They passed MOT ok.
You mention sick of the Avon SM's squaring off, they're a pretty square tyre to begin with, but rock hard compared to a GP, the GP on the back of my Goldie used to last 1500 miles new to illegal, and irrespective of how hard you corner on the road, they will square off fast, and then follow white lines somewhat; depends what you want I suppose?
A good compromise is Road riders, they just look a bit modern, which I understand, whereas a GP looks fab (for a short time!)
Best regards
Steve

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
Welcome to the VOC web Dingocooke, your a youngen with something to say, I like that.

Max
Cheers Max, not that young I am afraid!!! Not sure it the something i have to say is an use to anyone, its only from my own experience!!
Ride safe, be happy, keep smiling!! Steve :-D

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I had 19" Avon GP rear and 19" Speed master ribbed front on my Clubmans Goldie, steered lovely, and loads of grip, way beyond the ground clearance of the bike.
They passed MOT ok.
.................... the GP on the back of my Goldie used to last 1500 miles new to illegal, and irrespective of how hard you corner on the road, they will square off fast, and then follow white lines somewhat; depends what you want I suppose?
A good compromise is Road riders, they just look a bit modern, which I understand, whereas a GP looks fab (for a short time!)
Best regards
Steve
Avon GP tyres were available as a road tyre years ago and the new Norton Commando I had in 1971 had them fitted from new. They lasted reasonably well so I guess they were not in a very soft compound. The GP would appear to still be available from Avon Tyres Motorsport. These are described as a classic racing tyre in a soft A25 race compound. They list several of their tyres in a soft compound but don't say if they are marked "not for road use". The soft compound versions have been available for quite some time. I still have one on the back wheel of my Sunbeam that was last raced in the late 80's. When did you use GP's on your Goldie? It sounds like yours were soft compound. Great for scratching but no good for touring type mileages.;)

Anyone remember visiting the motorcycle collection that used to be at Stanford Hall? When I went there with Titch many years ago I think there was an Avon GP tyre hanging up that was off the Gilera that Bob Mac did the 1st 100 mph Isle of Man ... lap or perhaps I dreamt it. Anyone else remember seeing that tyre at Stanford Hall?

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
The last GP I bought for my Goldie was in 2003, it didnt have not for street use, but it was pretty soft!
Re the Stanford Hall museum, i used to go often with Titch,, happy memories. yes the tyre I have cleaned and it was stencilled about the Bob Mac record, it was like touching history, fab...OK I am sad!!! :)
My Commando is on TT100s, and they go square on the road too, and I ride that hard enough to grind the side stand on the left and footrest on the right!! Bizarrely they tyres i have on my TR6C are modern enduro knobblies and grippy as anything, everything will deck on that, the pillion pegs first!! Happy days...