Using Racing Tyres on the Road

Dingocooke

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just for fun heres a pic of my Goldie and Manx, built the Manx from scratch for the TT parade, and the Goldie I restored, wish I still had um both, but we can't keep ALL our toys...well I cant anyway!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 32

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Nice Dingo, did yourself proud! Not to be picky but shouldn't the megaphone have a flat for helping the lean in a righty, and shouldn't the wind screen be a Bug screen? Nice bikes!!

Max

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
Nice Dingo, did yourself proud! Not to be picky but shouldn't the megaphone have a flat for helping the lean in a righty, and shouldn't the wind screen be a Bug screen? Nice bikes!!

Max
Hi Max, the megaphone does have a flat on it, it also has the correct (for 1961) megaphone joint for expansion, non painted oil tank, and perspex screen, the mesh bug screen finished in the '50's...I forget when
I tried to replicate a 61 as close as possible, same age you see.... :)
Here it is at the TT with yours truly wobbling round!!

image.jpg

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
One confession though, I did fit a Bob Newby belt drive...amazing how much transmission vibration disappears with one, I thought I better fess up before the originality guys come and get me ;) :rolleyes: :D

vibrac

VOC Member
Belts? Great idea, have two Vinccnts with em on and the last Egli racer twin had them to.
(Oh and one on the Walkernator drive)
Originality? if I could make the space I would shrink one on a brake drum and have belt final drive as well:rolleyes:

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
Never rode a bike with a belt final drive, but can imagine theyre nice n smooth, Eric Buell made them cope with HD torque so I guess the only problem is making um look anything bar ugly!!

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
I didn't see the left side, I aint no expert but these tired eyes would have noticed rubber where steel should have been :) Had not thought about the no paint oil tank in years, seeeee I told you you seemed like a youngen that had something to say;)

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
I really don't under stand how a toothed belt that is rated for a max hp of 400 lbs torque can withstand 5000 hp, it can and does , Don Vescos TURBONATER proves that!

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
Maybe its about duty cycle, 10 years at 400ftlb or 10minutes at 5000hp, intriguing, and also a bit of amps/volts kinda comparison?? To quote my electrical practice tutor many summers ago 'Volts jolt, Mills kills'
hp and torque are similar, many a gearbox can put up with way over rating high rpm high horse outputs, but throw some low rpm high torque and youll find a gearbox weakness!!!!

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
The engine the driver and the transmission the driven, the faster the driven compared to the driver in a proportion curve becomes stronger in that curve number. Or something like that. :)