Non Vincent Related UK to Ban Petrol Motorcycles by 2035

G

Graham Smith

When it was announced, back in December 2020, that combustion-fuelled cars and vans would be banned from sale in the UK from 2030, motorcycles appeared to have dodged a bullet.

Alas, last week’s Transport Decarbonisation Plan has sealed their fate, with the Department for Transport announcing that from 2035, “all new L-category vehicles to be fully zero emissions at the tailpipe”. L-category vehicles, or Powered Light Vehicles, comprise powered two and three-wheelers (motorbikes, mopeds etc), quadricycles and 'micro cars'.

Read more HERE…

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Fear not
Carbon Engineering have developed non fossil fuel from sunlight and Co2* from the air so we should have zero carbon fuel for our Vincents if the FBHVC the VMCC etc get their act together. Branson is doing it for his aircraft fleet. Perhaps a portable fuel making unit is possible, its obviously the way we should have gone rather than uprating milk floats.
Also since the hydrogen motorcycle with removable bottles is underway what price a carb/injector that feeds a mixture into our venerable twins and singles.
never forget the example of steam railways and their enthusiasts

* the Co2 cycle is: out of silencer into the air. suck Co2 back from the air at the A2F plant add hydrogen from sunlight, distribute it, pop it back in the tank

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I was looking at the re-birth of Norton Motorcycles on another thread, and thinking to myself how will they ever get their investment back, or is it just the UK that introducing the fossil fuel ban, leaving the world market to export to. Whereas the BSA Gold Star will be built in India, with all the economic benefits of manufacturing there, the Norton factory looks to be a very lavish and expensive exercise, which will surely be a low volume business, with only 13 years to recoup the investment, unless of course it it their intention to go electric at some point.

I wonder if the government will introduce a scrappage scheme for my Vincent's, I hope it is generous!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I still remember them saying we would run out of Petrol by 1980 !!!!,
I was worried !,
Lets hope these Clowns can see sense, Before it's too late,
And before we runout of FOOD !!.
Cheers Bill.

J

Josh Smith

One of the several pitfalls of electric bikes is their range. Say you wanted to go on a trip to Scotland from the South East, you’d have to stop at least 3 times to recharge and they aren’t as efficient on faster roads as they are in towns/cities.

The cost is massively expensive too - the cheapest A2 compliant bike I could find was just over £10k.

Not to mention accidentally ‘blipping’ the throttle; it could become very uncontrollable very quickly due to the high torque and response of the electric motor.

Internal combustion engines will never be matched!

Josh

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
One of the pitfalls of the Model T Ford was that it had to reverse up steep hills due to the gravity feed tank. That got fixed.
BSA is mentioning that an electric model is being planned. Tesla will probably be among the first with a practical electric motorcycle in a few years and then every other bike manufacturer will follow suit.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
One of the pitfalls of the Model T Ford was that it had to reverse up steep hills due to the gravity feed tank. That got fixed.
BSA is mentioning that an electric model is being planned. Tesla will probably be among the first with a practical electric motorcycle in a few years and then every other bike manufacturer will follow suit.
I do not know when the gravity fed fuel tank problem was solved, but it is well documented that in 1911 a Ford Model T, drove from Edinburgh to Fort William, and then over a four day period, drove to the summit of Ben Nevis (4413ft or 1345 metres) then drove back down, taking one day for the decent, and then drove back to Edinburgh, all done to promote sales of the car. Anyone that has trudged up Ben Nevis will know that some parts of the climb are fairly steep.