Non Vincent Related UK to Ban Petrol Motorcycles by 2035

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I went to visit my daughter in Dulwich 65 miles away on a Zero SRF. Got there on 48% of the battery but I did slipstream trucks down the M11!

I wasn't ready to take the risk of returning without a recharge and it was back to 88% within an hour from a mains plug.

Fabulous to ride through London traffic.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Bill, as you have access to this modern machinery, you might be able to answer this question, during the course of my business I was an early adopter of cordless power tools, starting off with a SKIL drill in the early 80s, moving on to Makita and Dewalt, but the bain of all these tools is once you have had your 1000 charges, which only equates to 3 years approx, and the batteries go off a bit, you have a decision to make, purchase a couple of replacement 18v battery packs at dam near the same cost of buying a complete new package from Screwfix (other outlets are available) or chuck your drill in the bin (or ebay it) and start the process again.

So how will Zero address this problem, I would imagine these bike are expensive to start with.

And one more point, was your ride as much fun as on the Egli or the R100R?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I went to visit my daughter in Dulwich 65 miles away on a Zero SRF. Got there on 48% of the battery but I did slipstream trucks down the M11!

I wasn't ready to take the risk of returning without a recharge and it was back to 88% within an hour from a mains plug.

Fabulous to ride through London traffic.
Reminds me of the old days !, Trying to get home before Dark !.

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
I'm running 50/50 veg oil and diesel I my Enfield. 170 mpg and a tank range of 750 miles. It's a personal choice and interest of bike, but a real world cheap alternative.
20180524_122544.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes Diesel fuel is a real alternative no one is going to have a electric buldozer soon, unless of course synthetic diesel takes off (they can make it) but those industrial diesel engines are not ideal was it KTM who are making real diesel bikes for NATO forces?
I know you would need a stronger big end and crankshaft but would the crankcase be strong enough? is a v twin Vincent diesel feasible?

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Bill, as you have access to this modern machinery, you might be able to answer this question, during the course of my business I was an early adopter of cordless power tools, starting off with a SKIL drill in the early 80s, moving on to Makita and Dewalt, but the bain of all these tools is once you have had your 1000 charges, which only equates to 3 years approx, and the batteries go off a bit, you have a decision to make, purchase a couple of replacement 18v battery packs at dam near the same cost of buying a complete new package from Screwfix (other outlets are available) or chuck your drill in the bin (or ebay it) and start the process again.

So how will Zero address this problem, I would imagine these bike are expensive to start with.

And one more point, was your ride as much fun as on the Egli or the R100R?
Hi Peter,

I certainly sympathise with the tools point I have a perfect Black And Decker drill set in it's box because the replacement batteries are more than a new drill!
Zero offer a long warranty on batteries it's at least 5 years and may be 7 years, my memory fails me. They tell me that replacements are very rare and they have been going 15 years now I think.

I would definitely choose the Zero for pure fun factor but the visceral experience of the Egli is very special indeed but so different it is impossible to compare them. The R100R is very much a day to day workhorse.

Cheers Bill