Tyres

Nulli Secundus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think you can probably attribute your slide off Derek to an under inflated tyre. I have had quite a lurid slide in the dry when my rear Roadrider was under inflated and this shows I should have checked them before setting off :oops:.

I agree with Roy with regards to Roadriders in the wet.

Before Roadriders I used Super Venoms (I think it was) and they use to do a tubeless version and tubed version. I use to buy the tubed version, as presumably it had a smoother inner carcase and was kinder to the inner tube, which had to make it safer. Eventually they dropped the tubed version and then of course the Roadrider came out which are tubeless tyres. On the sidewall it states that "if fitted to a tube type rim fit a tube", so it sounds like we are OK to do so, but it does make you wonder what goes on if you are running a tyre under inflated. The tyre will flex a lot and generate heat, but will movement also chafe the inner tube? There had to be a reason why Avon use to do tubeless and tubed versions of the Super Venom.

Another bad thing with regards to running an under inflated tyre is the tyre may creep on the rim and tear the valve out of the tube.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Derek, My big fear is Diesel, In the wet you can't see it, I live near a main road with about 5 roundabouts close, The lorries chuck it all over the place, A few years ago on my BMW I had a big slide, I had to stop, I thought it was a flat, Checked the bike , Found nothing, Went through the next one and did it again !! That K100 is too big to drop !! I try to use the right hand lane now, I think there is less there. Good Luck, Bill.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Modern tyres require higher pressures than quoted in "the bible" Stinky deisel can most times be smelt before the refraction can be seen. Tyres as low as 5 psi did not slip on the rims when I was grasstrack racing (ok that was a while ago) Be lucky out there, Roy.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Derek, since you are changing rims, have a look at the Avon fitment chart. Not much of anything fits on aWM2, WM3 is better but not great. 100/90/19s require WM3 to meet Avon's spec. I used a WM3 x18 rear and wish I had made it aWM4 instead. As it is, the biggest and heaviest load capacity tire size I can fit and stay within the chart is the 4.00 x18. This works, but should this size be discontinued, the next choice would be a 110 or 120, both requiring a WM4 minimum width.
Rim width requirements have gotten much wider with the switch to these modern(better) profiles.
Glen

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Didn't know that Glen, I thought the new type tyres did not look right !!, To get to the edge of the tyre you would have to be on your Ear ! I would think 120 rear would be close to the chain guard on a standard bike ?, Cheers Bill.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Hi Bill
I have seen 120 s fitted on standard bikes, though I think you are correct, the chain gaurd might need a bit of a side shift. The 4.00 goes on without any problem, however it uses most of the available room. The 4.00 x 18 Avon Roadrider is quite a big tire, about halfway between a 110 and a 120.
Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
I saw the Moto-Guzzi V8 at Brands Hatch once 3.50*19 rear......

bigger the tyre more the rolling radius= more the lean for a given curve. For proof, goto a modern trackday on the Vinny and find out what that means on hairpins-you will soon have a crowd of crutch rocket boys wondering....

derek

VOC Member
Glen, I have looked at the Avon fitment chart and agree but also wonder if (as I am Changing rims) whether to get as they recommend MT instead of WM rims? From another web page that gives profiles, the difference is that the WM has a flat bead seat, the MT has a 5degree taper bead seat which slopes down towards the well.
Also from the various downloads it can be seen that the tyre profile effects the rolling diameter by quite a lot, surely this will change the steering head angle, is this why the feel of the steering changes?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I worry about some of these Charts, How many people at Avon's have ridden Vincents with these settings ? I think you can have too much grip on the front with a Standard bike, Which will cause a problem. Cheers Bill.