Tyres

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Tim, sounds like you are in favour of the skinny original sized tires? Problem is they aren't rated to carry the weight of a Vincent two up with luggage, nor do the rears last when loaded this way. For solo riding they are OK, though I prefer the modern profile of the Roadrider to the older type tires .
Do you run narrow tires like 90s or 3.50 on your 1272?
I find that the back end will slip sideways a little on hard acceleration out of a corner with this 1360motor, and that is with a 180 rear.
Derek, I missed that recommendation for MT type, but I think it makes good sense to go with the manufacturers suggestion. So I suppose the procedure is to figure out what your loading will be, choose tire sizes thst will handle that, then go with the suggested rims.

Glen

derek

VOC Member
Worry. I have just read an article that stated, " it is very unusual for a tyre to pop off the bead even with an immediate flat" I must admit that previous flats, I have always had to struggle to get the tyre into the well to remove for repair! However with this resent flat that caused me to start the thread, both sides of the tyre were off of the bead and in the well when I stopped. Was the tyre a bad fit?

vibrac

VOC Member
Tim, sounds like you are in favour of the skinny original sized tires? Problem is they aren't rated to carry the weight of a Vincent two up with luggage, nor do the rears last when loaded this way. For solo riding they are OK, though I prefer the modern profile of the Roadrider to the older type tires .
Do you run narrow tires like 90s or 3.50 on your 1272?
I find that the back end will slip sideways a little on hard acceleration out of a corner with this 1360motor, and that is with a 180 rear.
Derek, I missed that recommendation for MT type, but I think it makes good sense to go with the manufacturers suggestion. So I suppose the procedure is to figure out what your loading will be, choose tire sizes thst will handle that, then go with the suggested rims.

Glen
Hells teeth! never standard Vincent tyres on a Egli much as I like them on the real thing. we ran 18" AM23 race tyres of course, Had problem at rear with a smigin bigger than 3.50 (sorry Ben is not around to tell me what we fitted) but it almost kissed the chain and of course we were in "up to 72" class so no funny jobs with frames and sprockets. Guess slightly bigger would be most you need for 100 bhp in that sort of motor/frame we certainly had acceptable race tyre wear think it lasted 12 hard race days and if it dident have that stupid "race tyre" panel I would happily used it for many more months on a road twin.

vibrac

VOC Member
I worry about some of these Charts, How many people at Avon's have ridden Vincents with these settings ? I think you can have too much grip on the front with a Standard bike, Which will cause a problem. Cheers Bill.
Steve Smith at Cooper tyres (Avons) comp department knows his bikes 2 years ago he was riding with me on the Lands end Trial (if you want to get a feel for tyres try Trials Knoblies and 350 wet miles)
To boil it down to my final tyre comment on standard vincents stick to 20" and 19" its the rubber that counts IMHO

derek

VOC Member
AS I understand it, the bead is the tyre edge that sits on the flat landing of the rim profile, both tyre wall beads were pushed off of the flat landing and into the well, ie the position for removal or for fitting before inflation.