PR: Proprietary Items TT carb

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dripping is not something I have noticed on my TT's but you are right about a small seat for the tapered needle on 276 etc I never found just flat grinding them in ever improved the seal
NB I dont see the new Burlen plastic anti ethanol float in your collection

Cyborg

VOC Member
Dripping is not something I have noticed on my TT's but you are right about a small seat for the tapered needle on 276 etc I never found just flat grinding them in ever improved the seal
NB I dont see the new Burlen plastic anti ethanol float in your collection
Ethanol free fuel is relatively easy to obtain here.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Are they really less likely to drip when using the 302 floats?
If you’re running on pump gas, I guess you could modify your type 14’s to use the smaller needs and seats?

I wonder if there is a reasonable/logical way to get some viton onto the needle.

no idea if they make one of these that is a size that you could cannibalize to fit.

4B81448C-986D-4395-AAD2-8BF1AF49652E.jpeg

Last edited:

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I have a GP carb on my Goldstar. It has the type 14 float chamber. I found that it dripped. I can't remember exactly how I did it now but I drilled something out and pressed in the float needle from an Amal Concentric carb, the brass viton tipped type. Since then no more problems. That viton tipped float needle is one of the best ones I have found on any motorcycle. The last decades. I am sure I have some I bought in 1980 that I still use.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Are they really less likely to drip when using the 302 floats?
If you’re running on pump gas, I guess you could modify your type 14’s to use the smaller needs and seats?

I wonder if there is a reasonable/logical way to get some viton onto the needle.

no idea if they make one of these that is a size that you could cannibalize to fit.

View attachment 59830
What are they?

litnman

VOC Member
Are you referring to the Amal float shown here? It is listed elsewhere as a float for a stationary engine, part number RKC-525. I will try to purchase one for testing. The most buoyant float tested in so far is the black float next to the test container. It is a fuel level sensor for a mechanical gauge.
Amal TT plastic floats.png

vibrac

VOC Member
Are you referring to the Amal float shown here? It is listed elsewhere as a float for a stationary engine, part number RKC-525. I will try to purchase one for testing. The most buoyant float tested in so far is the black float next to the test container. It is a fuel level sensor for a mechanical gauge.
I put a photo of it on post #24 on Friday on the thread about leaking carbs on this forum

litnman

VOC Member
The type 14 is not my choice. It's on a Lightning so no changing to a 302 on this one.
I can see the value of slight modifications helping but don't see any way of making drastic mod. The 302 needle is pushed up into the seat whereas the 14 needle is pulled up into the seat and slight vibrations cause it to drip.
TT 302 -14 needle seat info.jpg