PR: Proprietary Items TT carb

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You are quite right, the Ali viton needles are not suitable for bottom feed - as I mentioned above somewhere. Yes, I am not familiar with TT carbs and all but when you look at my photo below, an Amal I put on the Horex 600 , from the bits I got with the HRDs long time ago : The float looks quite wrong at this angle, did not care about this as I had no angled float chamber then. But even so, NO problems with dripping ! Remember, the float - ahmm - floats in there , so no weight per se on the needle from side loads. So then for saving hassles in your place I´d get some abrasive and the lathe or drill and polish the used needle for a nice cone as it got some ridges from wear. After that just lap it in the chamber jet with very fine diamond paste like 5 micron or any suitable paste. I cannot see why this would not work on your bike. So no real need for complicated mods involving viton bits. In other forums I came across reports about viton needles and dripping carbs, so even with them there can be troubles, just we would not expect them to behave like that old stuff.

Vic
IMG00023.JPG

litnman

VOC Member
Amal states that the 302 float chamber is a modified top feed designed for racing and will pass 10 gal. an hour. They don't say what
the flow capacity of the 14 float chamber is though it's needle/seat is twice the diameter. I haven't heard from anyone with a dripping
problem from the 302s.
TT-302-float.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Vic… I like complicated. Here’s a photo of my magneto armature disassembly tool. A block of wood and a mallet will do the same job.
I polished the float needles already with TimeSaver lapping compound, but haven’t tested them yet. I first need to make some fittings to measure the float level.

A37E28BA-6C6B-485D-BB77-54C87293B6BA.jpeg
35880F50-24EE-4CB8-9F22-2C8C197E791A.jpeg

Chris Launders

VOC Member
For a Viton tip could you drill through a Mk1/Mk2 concentric needle, chop most of it's body away and fit your own shaft.

Cyborg

VOC Member
For a Viton tip could you drill through a Mk1/Mk2 concentric needle, chop most of it's body away and fit your own shaft.
I wondered about that, but wasn’t sure there was a Viton needle large enough to do that with the type 14 seat, but then again the diameter of the seat can be reduced if not running on alcohol. Even the automotive needles seem on the small side for doing that, but worth exploring. It would be nice to have some adjustment built into the shaft.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
You are quite right, the Ali viton needles are not suitable for bottom feed - as I mentioned above somewhere. Yes, I am not familiar with TT carbs and all but when you look at my photo below, an Amal I put on the Horex 600 , from the bits I got with the HRDs long time ago : The float looks quite wrong at this angle, did not care about this as I had no angled float chamber then. But even so, NO problems with dripping ! Remember, the float - ahmm - floats in there , so no weight per se on the needle from side loads. So then for saving hassles in your place I´d get some abrasive and the lathe or drill and polish the used needle for a nice cone as it got some ridges from wear. After that just lap it in the chamber jet with very fine diamond paste like 5 micron or any suitable paste. I cannot see why this would not work on your bike. So no real need for complicated mods involving viton bits. In other forums I came across reports about viton needles and dripping carbs, so even with them there can be troubles, just we would not expect them to behave like that old stuff.

Vic
View attachment 59853
No diamond please, as it beds in very rapid.