Top Gear

christulin

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I looked again. The registration is 750UXL. Anybody in the VOX know the owner? 12, on the odometer, luggage rack on the back. Could the owner have been the man starting the bike?

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Chris,
The owner is a well known member of the VOC, but as this is a public part of the forum, I will not name him, to keep thieves away.
Suffice to say, at the time he was not impressed either, and it was not him kicking the machine back into life.........

Best Regards
Neil

christulin

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Please do keep the name confidential. If I were him I would have very pissed off. The Hamster seemed very uncomfortable with the Vincent despite both May and him being motorcycle riders. I don't care if they think an Audi is a better car than an Alfa, and that "Americans are only good for herding bison" but I feel personally insulted by this "competition". I challenge them to a rematch. They can bring their POS British Leyland sports cars built 40 years after my Rapide was built and I'll kick their asses. Then we will race.

len.c

Non-VOC Member
More on the Top Gear debacle,my comment should have read diminutive Richard could not reach the kickstart, just another senior moment, what really amazes me so many people put so much store by what they say, I don.t know if you saw the episode where they each had to purchase a cheap old performance car and drive from Bristol to Reading carrying out certain tests on the way ,I think it was the big one with the sagging chest muscles and the thinning hair who was driving some old Italian classic car, but he's happily driving along with most of the warning lights shining forth from the dash and terrible noises coming from the engine room when he casually says, I think the tappets are a bit noisey , well even my old granny would have known the big ends were gone, sure enough next thing, there's a con rod poking out the side .But then it's only fun,I promise these are the only two episodes Ive seen

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Thing to remember about Top Gear is not to take it seriously !! Target audience demographic is also not the average VOC member, no offence intended, as I count myself in that group. Actually I was quite pleased to see a Vincent on TV with a fair amount of air time allocated to it. Normally on such programs it's a Rough Inferior that enjoys the attention. Top Gear is just a bit of fun and quite imaginative sometimes, camera work can also be of a very good standard. If I were to make a criticism it would be to move the banter style on a little, it has become a bit too familiar.

Albervin

VOC Member
It is certainly getting a bit "tired" now. At first I liked the special guest spots, the stupid tests and the banter but now it is just more of the same. James did a cracking show on toys though......

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Yes, James May's toy programme was great but one comment. He bought a Triang train set at an auction. Included in the lot was a Hornby-Dublo locomotive. He asked the cashier to throw away the box it came in. Big mistake-serious train collectors like to have their items boxed. On the other hand, the man with the brand-new never-run models was a bit OTT. Anything I buy has to be a runner. Like Vincents, half the fun is to restore a wreck to working order.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
It is so funny that no one seems to realise that the plonker in the train had coal on his overalls and face, but sod all on his hands. May drove the Jag up the road in brilliant sunshine, and that little chap who was supposed to have started at the same time, rode the bike up in the wet. Talk about staged. 'Nuff said. ET43

It seems that the BBC make-up department had something to do with Clarkson's begrimed appearance on Tornado's footplate. No self respecting fireman would get in that state!