Top Gear

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The show is a disgrace JC in charge hates motorbikes (because none of his tin boxes can out accelerate them) when he was interviewing one of the 'celebrity' drivers what was his favorite car and the guy tried to mention he prefered motorcycles JC made out he was stupid .RH had a section in the motorcycle funny papers but when the gauntlet was thrown down (Whats the fastest way to cross London) he never gave even a wimper when the obvious winning choice of a motorcycle was omitted.
The guy with the long hair has a few brain cells but not enough
absolute crap

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi Guys,
Nothing on television is real. Not even the news. It is all fiction to a greater or lesser extent. For once I know what I am talking about. This has been part of my field for the last forty years. Wacky 'Docu-Magazine' programmes like Top Gear are run by Budget Suits and they do not countenance three full on Outside Broadcast Units on a single day. Way too expensive! The director picks the shots to print over several days of filming. The rushes (dailies -US) then go to the editor and he cuts them into a 'story'. There is no obligation on the director, or even more so the editor, to know anything about the subject in question so long as they achieve good 'Production Values'. Production values in this context means that which will excite and entertain the mass of the audience regardless of their degree of ignorance. Add V/O, effects and music to taste.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I have to admit, I still watch for programs of the original (UK) version I may have missed. Not many places you can watch a Veyron run reasonably hard. If they're hanging caravans from blimps, etc., it's quickly turned off. Usually, when the camera has them broadsliding at 6 G's in a BMW or such, all the while spinning the steering wheel like a top, and sitting there like they're in an easy chair, you know it's faked. At least the little guy owns a new Morgan in real life and that means he waited while it was being built and that suggests he has a real interest. It's the US version that really is a clunker! One of their contests (I finally turned it off) was won by the car that held the most water with the windows closed and could still drive! You'd think if they were going to put that much time and money into a show about cars, they'd at least make it reasonably intelligent to their demographic (old farts who like vehicles).
A disappointed, John:confused:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The bit that upsets me is that the cars and bikes these people smash up, Could be used by older blokes who are short of cash, Like Me !!. I am lucky in that i never sold my vin's from the 60's. I was a mechanic for 44 years, and some of those cars gave me a lot of fun. I saw a clip the other day of Mike Berry and friend pull a running Yam' V twin in half with two land rovers, they thought that was a laugh.

vibrac

VOC Member
Mike Berry and friend pull a running Yam' V twin in half with two land rovers, they thought that was a laugh.

Actually in the UK (or airstrip 1 as 1984 put it) they could be breaking the law
anyone who does not dispose of a motor vehicle with a 'accredited disposal agent' is commiting an offence
This will become even more plain when you have the stark choices of insuring it,sorning it,or having it crushed (into law around the middle of this month)
What about those of us with vehicles stored from 'before sorn'?,those racing motorcycles there?,and is this pile of parts here a motor vehicle? as per normal in this damm country its the law abiding that suffers and the 'thumb suckers' with as much experience of life as a gadfly draft stupid legislation.
I guess the crushers could descend at any time....

Albervin

VOC Member
I have to admit, I still watch for programs of the original (UK) version I may have missed. Not many places you can watch a Veyron run reasonably hard. If they're hanging caravans from blimps, etc., it's quickly turned off. Usually, when the camera has them broadsliding at 6 G's in a BMW or such, all the while spinning the steering wheel like a top, and sitting there like they're in an easy chair, you know it's faked. At least the little guy owns a new Morgan in real life and that means he waited while it was being built and that suggests he has a real interest. It's the US version that really is a clunker! One of their contests (I finally turned it off) was won by the car that held the most water with the windows closed and could still drive! You'd think if they were going to put that much time and money into a show about cars, they'd at least make it reasonably intelligent to their demographic (old farts who like vehicles).
A disappointed, John:confused:
They did that in the UK several years ago with a Triumph, Rover and an Austin (I think).....

Albervin

VOC Member
Actually in the UK (or airstrip 1 as 1984 put it) they could be breaking the law
anyone who does not dispose of a motor vehicle with a 'accredited disposal agent' is commiting an offence
This will become even more plain when you have the stark choices of insuring it,sorning it,or having it crushed (into law around the middle of this month)
What about those of us with vehicles stored from 'before sorn'?,those racing motorcycles there?,and is this pile of parts here a motor vehicle? as per normal in this damm country its the law abiding that suffers and the 'thumb suckers' with as much experience of life as a gadfly draft stupid legislation.
I guess the crushers could descend at any time....

Does this mean I could steal your racers and get away with it (even easier than I can today)?....

len.c

Non-VOC Member
I am really pleased you brought up the subject of the forthcoming insurance scam ,just another stealth tax as it must be assumed the government will grab the usual insurance tax on the permium we will have to pay, so what about all the money spent on the ANPR gear that was going to rid us of all the uninsured drivers etc . We as a nation are so complacent,I thought about starting a revolution the other day ,but I don.t know I just can.t be bothered

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
First, it's television. It's not real. They make it up. The producer has said "it's a program made by clever people, for stupid people. It wouldn't work the other way". Did he really? Yes.
(I once went to Pennan, NE Scotland, where the film "Local Hero" was filmed. It's exactly like in the movie, except that the pub has now closed. Where's the beach? I asked. It'll be a fair walk, was the answer. It's in Ireland.)
Clarkson is the star, so he had to win. Both car and bike were limited to 70 mph. They all left London at the same time. The car and train cruised in beautiful weather, the bike was in pissing rain. Amazingly variable, UK weather - they were supposed to be racing. Could it be the bike was filmed on the way back, when it rained? You decide. The bike would pick up about 45 minutes in traffic on the way out of London. Knowing Edinburgh well, I know it would pick up at least 45 minutes, more likely an hour, in the 12 miles of traffic on the way into Edinburgh. That's before you even consider where you could have parked the Jag in the centre of Edinburgh that wasn't a bus ride away from the hotel. And that's why the "breakdown" had to be invented, because "the result" was decided in advance and for an elderly Jag limited to 70, or even not limited, making up an hour and 45 minutes wasn't possible.
I saw it in Applecross - we (it was a Scottish VOC weekend) persuaded the proprietress of the Applecross Inn to switch on the box so we could watch. When Richard announced "I'm switching to reserve" we all laughed. Would you lend your bike to someone and NOT tell him reserve was good for less than 10 miles?
Me neither.

Poor Richard Hammond didn't stand a chance on the Shadow. He had to ride in some appalling weather and suffered a minor defect. The locomotive, Tornado, like most mainline registered steam engines, is officialy restricted to 75mph. Had it been allowed to run at it's potential maximum speed the outcome would have been much different. Anyway, like all things on Top Gear, nothing should be taken too seriously.I just wish they would stop burning rubber on some old airfield!

Last edited by a moderator: