E: Engine Todays task

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Re Feck! i've done one oil / filter change since i got the machine and not too many miles, surprised the motor is/was not correspondingly noisy. no particles visible and at least no smoking exhaust so i think ( hopefully they will be tucked away in some corner of the timing chest.
Ar*e ache withthe twin is the exhaust has to come off to get cover off.
All of the adjusters were locked and the motor doesn't have a high mileage on it since rebuild so I believe they were all set incorrectly with the front ex having been done in the dark.
First concern is cam follower and cam then pinion teeth. At least these failures happen in the winter and as long as it is not an epic like last winters Burman box strip,wrench, fit, repeat.

Cyborg

VOC Member
That is a lot of wire! How did the old boys do it with two wires?
Will have to look that up.
Glen
Just with the speedo, tach and ignition system there are more circuits than the average old bike has in total.
This is quite full too, but no Miller or Lucas bits anywhere. There is an Ducati taillight assembly so the fire risk is still up there. I do have a leftover Halon fire extinguisher from the boat, but it’s a little large and would likely cause more commotion than the fire itself.
Today’s task is to fabricate a switch panel for the ignition sensor grounds so I can switch back and forth between the 4 ignition maps. You shouldn’t bother asking why someone would do such a thing, nor should you attempt to apply logic to any of this.
8CF440BE-7B23-4E6A-BA53-6EF1C2205229.jpeg
81085C48-4D08-4D05-9629-ABBC7DB413DE.jpeg
5BC9412E-E3A4-4D63-989A-B0CB903A96EF.jpeg

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Brian, I had a similar thing happen, somehow the pushrod got 1/2 out of the adjusted and the adjuster chewed it's way down, no idea why or how, same one , front exhaust, cleaned any debris out of the timing chest and fitted another pushrod, not further problems in 15k, it may have been an alloy pushrod thinking back.