Misc: Everything Else Throw or keep?

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I never throw nothing or anything,, old inlet valves can be made into exhaust v/v's, old cylinders can be glaze busted rebored to a larger size. Ken Phelps was rescued in the S.W.a couple of years ago and brought to me with a mangled head as a v/v had let go, I only had old v/v's but it saw his UK trip out and possibly still going, just hope he is back riding again after those thugs gave him a beating at his home poor bugger. Valve springs reuse them again, the ones I have in presently have started their third hundred k !!! I have a set of new old stock Terries Springs triple springs (Lightning ?) and stand the old removed springs against these and if they are within 1/8" reuse them. post-war head spring pressure takes about 11 stone to open, series "A" which is a heavier v/v assembly takes about 7 stone to open. Now pistons, naughty really my daughters red Rap (not original but girls like pretty things) had a little piston slap so drilled half a dozen holes into each skirt countersunk them and fitted large-headed aluminium pop-rivets then turned them down till they slid up and down the liner easily. It got to 1999 international in Harvey's box trailer ridden around the TT course and card and keys given to Marty Dickerson, on the evening of the safety brief by Red Barron himself walking in Marty dropped the keys in my hand and said I think I had too much wine last night, after the meeting Johannes Hafercorn walked in just arriving on the IOM with BMW mounted as the Vincent failed him again so gave him the keys and check card, again in 2007 Ken Smith USA borrowed it for the Irish Rally as it had an electric starter by then, also pistons changed.
So Danno my handsome throw nothing. Make do and mend being a poor apprentice when I first had the bike that is what I did KiWi's are generally better at it than we are .
bananaman.

Camita & Red Rap01_2 2.jpg

Camita & Red Rap07_2.jpg

Last edited:

Garth Robinson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I even sawed an old flywheel mainshaft in half , For a special tool,
A , Who would think to do such a thing and,
B, Who would know that it was soft enough for me to be able to saw it ??.
I did the same thing Bill,I turned mine down in the lathe to make an alignment whatsit when I needed to replace the clutch plate in my car.As soft as cheese.

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I am hesitant to throw away or give away/sell some of the old rusted original fasteners I have from years of ownership. I have a lot of them in cans. This is especially true of the ones with tiny part numbers stamped on them. As recently discussed on here, some future owner may want to replace the SS ones I mostly use with original replated items to get things back to “as it left the factory”.
you can do dull nickel plating it looks like cad plating and reuse old fasteners again it is cheap enough to do small stuff that will look ok on a Vincent or any other old bike.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have had nickle done on my Scott I find this batch flakes off easily I believe (I am sure I may be corrected) that is down to a poor copper under plate. My frame on my Egli Comet flaked and I had it black coated I like it better however in fairness it was from the seventies had housed 3 engines previously (2 1000.s) and been raced you cant throw away a UK historic registered Egli frame

Colin

VOC Member
NEVER, NEVER, EVER throw anything away. Keep it somewhere. It WILL come in useful some day. Just ask Jaqueline

danno

Non-VOC Member
NEVER, NEVER, EVER throw anything away. Keep it somewhere. It WILL come in useful some day.
That’s what I’ve always done. My dad did the same.
If something needed fixing, it was all there.
Used to have a double tandem garage with bikes, workshop machines, tools, tins of N/B’s.
Now I have a single garage, three bikes, and quite a lot of the stuff from previous house.
The large circular saw, pilllar drill and wood turning lathe had to go unfortunately.

My garage just has one storage cabinet and that’s now full up. I’ve bought the wood for shelves and DIY bench. Will also get some tall racking for all the tins of BSF and BSW N/Bs.
So yes, I don’t like to throw stuff away. Just need to kit out and organise the single garage.
No room really for a shed. Would be for garden stuff anyway.
I think the barrel liners can go as mentioned earlier. If there is a use, it won’t be for the Vincent.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Any room in the House ?, Before the Wife came, I had a lathe and one Twin in the front room,
I had to saw the stair rails off to make the turn with the Bike !,
Also a Comet engine and gearbox lump, On a bench, / Coffee table, Plus lots of spares,
We didn't need that room, Before I bought it , It was the Kids playroom,
So it was not too posh !.
But I can't get away with it now I moved South :D .
Good Luck, Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_20201104_133159 (2).jpg
    IMG_20201104_133159 (2).jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 18