taking dents out of Birmabrights

peterg

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Howdy Van,

Very straightforward operation, click Vincent - Chassis page here and scan down to Fenders (Birmabrite).

vincentfenderbuck.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
If peterg has succesfully used this method then fine but it looks to me as though if one was not careful one would be stetching the metal whereas one probably needs to shrink it to get rid of dents. For me this was easy with a solid metal dolly inside the muguard and hitting the outside with a hammer.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Chaps,

Thanks Van Ginneke. Let me emphasize with this approach I was removing major dents - the lower portion of the front fender was deformed and curled back below the strut from the UFM/fork assembly/wheel being pushed around and not parked with care - and was keen to preserve the original appearance of the topsides of all three fender sections. My final prep was going to consist of a quick once-over with 3M 2000 grit wet and a light buff. Striking aged metal like this with surface imperfections (small pits in my case) leads to marring which then must be removed with more aggressive techniques than I had in mind. Confining that marring to the underside of the fenders was preferred.

van Ginneke

Non-VOC Member
Hello Peter & timetravellar (?), thanks for the input. (very nice/good/wonderfull website you have Peter!!) to get my/the picture clear; both my comets (C) have damaged fenders/guards, one set is better then the other.
The best set -although looking rather used- goes on the one that I keep in unrestored state, as found but clean and in use ' dan son juice' so to say....
The ' bad' set has repaired cracks in them around the fixing points near the rear dampers and near the two stays under the seat.
The repair was done in time fashoned style, e.g. bits of alloy plate with aircraft quality rivits over the cracks, done at least 40 years ago.
Looks very, ahummmm, homemade.
This set I want to repair as good as I can so they can go on the restored comet, so..
Anyone having experience with welding Birmabright?
regards, Vincent.

van Ginneke

Non-VOC Member
O.K. clevertrevor, let me refrase the question: can someone tell me if it is possible to weld birmabright and if so, How this is done without distorting/even larger holes/discoloring(?)/using backing material etc.
In short; are there any special pitfalls that I should warn 'my' welder about.

On another note, I am rather new to this VOC forum but why do some users -and you!- of it use incognito names, soooooo old school, we're grown up now!

best regards, Vincent

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
a "coded" aircraft welder would be your best help. mine is several hundred miles from you. there must be someone local who can be peruaded with cash moneyto sort your troubles!

timetraveller

VOC Member
On another note, I am rather new to this VOC forum but why do some users -and you!- of it use incognito names, soooooo old school, we're grown up now!

Grown up, grown up! Not all of us. Perhaps we think that it makes us more mysterious and interesting or perhaps some of us have rather strange names!!

Obidiah Loom Bopoople III