Misc: Everything Else Starting Problem - Series 'C' BIG Single

Jez Nemeth

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Update... small changes -going to get a strobe on the Primary this weekend so can see advance more accurately, all dependent on finding true TDC...Talk of starting advance being a bit more than 4+ ...5deg? To help starting. Still not yet at point where I'd feel confident of getting off a Petrol Station forecourt after filling up.

Q? -double ignition lead coil for the twin plug head -this do it?

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 12.36.32.png
image - 2022-07-07T132720.962.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As long as it's for points ign' ?,4 or 5 ohms ?.

Just thinking, When it's on the back stand , It puts the kicker a bit high ?, For starting,
Even for me , And I am tallish .
Love the Breather.

If it was me , I think I would move the kicker anti clock a few splines,
To get a better swing ??, Just for now till you are more happy with it ?.

Last edited:

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Just left them there for setting up testing -will remove for a season -have a habit of going walkabout those adjuster damper knobs! ;)

Righty, Talking with my electro expert (Who is presently wiring the interior of ScoobyVW with all latest led's/solar/gen upgrades)...coil is not possibly the right one to do the job well...there are coils and then there are coils...

For twin spark, any twin spark coil will do, second lead fires and it's a lost spark, sparking into a fuel-less barrel on a twin, both HT leads fire at same time -forgive me if this sounds super obvious, but it's news to me...

Presently, the hit from the spark is spasmodic -a bit of a lucky dip every so many, or many many revolutions gets it to right place for spark/fuel to create desired effect -the go bang bit. This sounds really familiar to what I'm seeing and experiencing, kick start roulette, game for the whole family...

The Coil that would suit is a 12V with built in ballast, running down to 6v -ideally not in an oil bath, but the new Gel types are great, and cheap. The best sparks for starting are at 6v (which the ballast does at initial charge up). Once running the system is now looking for a 12v feed (Sparkrite or Bosch are good ones been advised).

Without a Ballast, like the one I have -it's likely hit or miss with the coil.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't know enough about it , I would just stick it on .
We are only guessing about the flame across the top of the piston,
Me , I suck it and see !.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
This chap is a genius -used to wire some high tech stuff for military ( sounds like the advert for a hollywood blockbuster that..) but knows vehicle electrics backwards, anyway will seek more info...

Dominic from Green Sparkplug Co. will phone me back in the morning when he gets in -

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I seem to remember reading something about this years ago. Coils that will and coils that wont feed two firing cylinders at the same time. From memory some will and some wont so I thought I would try and find out by reading on the web. I could not find a thorough discussion of it but in the course of the browsing I found that distributors for Porche cars can cost £2,800 and upwards. Are we not paying enough for our Vin parts? Being a sismple lad I would test the coil as follows. Set it up connected to the points which can be spun by an electric drill. As we cannot all access compression chambers to check the sparks under high pressure I would set up both HT leads with tunable gaps of about half an inch to an inch. Switch on and spin the points and see for how long you get two equal sparks at both gaps. If they are still there and looking nice and blue after half an hour or so my guess is that it would work on the bike.

vibrac

VOC Member
My dad who was born in 1895 and was in the motorcycle trade when it started since grandfather had a pushbike at the turn of the century. said
(and no apologies for pre decimal currency) "buy a nut for a bicycle 3p buy the same nut for a motorcycle a shilling buy the same nut for a racing motorcycle half a crown" I suspect that applies to the Porche distributor

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
I've put a pair of owners club badges there to disguise the redundant mountings.
Only there as couldn't decide which seat to keep on there...back to the Feridax since pic...did like the badge idea Chris, I'll remember that, old yellow AA on side/St Christopher the other maybe? ;)