Misc: Everything Else Starting Problem - Series 'C' BIG Single

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If Jez has still got the standard valve lifter ?,
I would think it would be easy to fit a twin coil, On his "D" Dist',
Like I have on my Special twin, "D" Dist with wasted spark .
Only £32 from Feked.com

timetraveller

VOC Member
Plus one for the twin plugs set up being installed but that tick over sounds too good and regular for exotic cams. I suspect that the cams installed for that video will not give you the performance you would like for sprinting. Good to see it coming along.

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hi Jez. I very much suspect that you don't have a set of Johns cams as he would have removed them. They were homemade, even the Stellite welding and took ages to make so they would have gone in another project. To them to rotate much of the valve lifter mountings had to be machined away as in my race engine. Johns cams and later versions made by Gary Robinson to my specification have proved very durable and reliable with no breakages. A great Race cam. Ask Danny Quirk.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Up with you there Greg -think for future -certainly if we're taking it to the races, can pop out the Decomp and pop in plug + dual coil. Will just need to use a rollers to start it...or possibly not, not had enough time with it to work out any sort of starting strategy without decomp...might now were getting a reliable powered spark, but to be determined...hell of a lot of compression there -could stand on the kickstart all day waiting for it to go down without the decomp.

Last edited:

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Rightly deduced Roy -most of the internals valves/rockers/all timing gear -bar Crank/piston and pump were missing, cases etc...

Did put 105's in there, do give the 500 some pep! Works fine with the full exhaust system -but maybe too little for the 833 given how it's designed- starving it...

Oddly have some MK2's re-stellited by Gary Robinson, bought and not yet used (that hoarding thing again), pressed them in to a cam wheel, but no indicator marks, so will need to use Vibrac's method of valve timing? As said lined them up one evening for detailed scrutiny, do like to know why things work. They show slightly harsher exit ramps than the 105, but barely ..mind you, there seems to be some inaccuracy between sets and years/makers - read that somewhere... but worth doing some research certainly, Danny Quirk Roy?

Do think your hunch is pretty spot on -what any of us would do with/to a development engine, run the cams as high as you can, see what you can squeeze out of them, weld-reprofile-test, and again, again ... to the point just short of catastrophic engine failure on each run...its a development engine not the final bike -disposable. Eddie did mention that it had well and truly been run in ...can only imagine! (do have some new rings for it).

Be happy to weld a drill bit on the end of a shaft and open up that exhaust, if I could find a cam that developed usable power -reliable and progressive. Rode a mates CBR thou two years ago now, gentle as you like, well behaved but limitless top end...and acceleration..goodness me!

Presently there's a balance to be struck between -starting and running

Now I really apologise for this next pic on a Vincent forum -Thing 1 and 2 ...(did turn up to the glos rally once on the 1100 :rolleyes:)- loved that 1100 Factory Yoshi tuned kat, had every mod, VM33's, welded int/ext, crank/basket, etc......hooligan machine, race/sprint tuned but no good on roads, didn't like sub 50mph at all, so really challenging, could never relax on it and enjoy the view, trying to catch you out all the time, just pointed it and held on, corners -ha! nope, total killer... Thing 2 the 750 in the foreground was in comparison a total poppet, Yoshi cams like it's bigger sibling, quick but never felt it was driving, lighter and could throw it about -and to get to a similar usability with this bike, which is light for it's potential power I suspect, would be a real achievement..have no intent on pulling wheelies these days intentionally or not.

Usable power -if we move to MK2 cams or ones better suited to the machine possibly? Need another development engine!! Or at least a rolling road maybe? If that means opening up the exhaust too (i'm ok with audible warnings for other motorists) -make starting more challenging though?

Will run the 105's with higher revs and see what it does on the road, might be ok, just don't know ? Think the opening of the advance will make a big difference-off for a week, but when I get back we'll give it a go...:)

Attachments

• 74670654_10157934418654314_7950358165705457664_n-1.jpg
    74670654_10157934418654314_7950358165705457664_n-1.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

brian gains

VOC Member
Carleton and I stuck with the Renwick cam, which made 43 BHP

Hi Jez. I very much suspect that you don't have a set of Johns cams as he would have removed them. They were homemade, even the Stellite welding and took ages to make so they would have gone in another project. To them to rotate much of the valve lifter mountings had to be machined away as in my race engine. Johns cams and later versions made by Gary Robinson to my specification have proved very durable and reliable with no breakages. A great Race cam. Ask Danny Quirk.
not necessarily unique to JR's work but an indication his 'finger prints' are all over it, but did he weld the pinion on all his hot cams?, unfortunately another Q I didn't get to ask.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Right -Easyjet cancelled said flight to Sicily at 2am before 6am departure, nice to wake up to -so taking disappointed mrs for a few days in St Ives, Cornwall instead.

Cams and pipe -I'm all ears... 2" pipe be a good start, anybody got a straight through Lightning pipe hanging around? Or know who would make one -it's the one thing I can't do effectively here is bend big pipe smoothly..just need the pipe can make the head insert and flange with the nut on fine.

One funny though, and levity seems to be the gear oil of life.

Was looking for a suitable velocity stack for the carb/bike -Looked for a thick walled alloy vase as a donor -found one that seemed to be the perfect shape, very cheap with dimensions given as '16 x 7 x 5 base' exactly the right size - less than a tenner p+p on top, you'd assume cm's -right?

nope...

image - 2022-06-27T111343.506.jpg

Last edited:

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Like to think it was intended as an events cup that has yet to have winners names engraved on it ...but it certainly very likely it could be Bill, feels like it ...live and learn :rolleyes:

As well as cams -bigger pipe help this breathe a bit better I would think in running -starting possibly not? Stand to be corrected on that one

Last edited: