FF: Forks Spring Box Tool

powella

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
More is better, as far as I am concerned, so yes please to any other info you may have about this tool.

I have fitted a JE/NW steering stem with Norman's recommended springs. With a few miles on the bike and monitoring how much the springs compress in use, II think that they may be a little on the soft side. I would like to experiment with preload, adding a shortened inner spring etc. but the thought of approaching the task without a decent tool fills me with dread.

I initially fitted the new springs with the front end kit using the twisted rope method I read somewhere on here. I got there in the end, but it's not a method that I would like to use again.
In the U.K we usually say " 4 x 2 " ( lump of wood !!! ) - only joking.
Will post more Photo`s and measurements tomorrow.
100 MPH machine fixed with a stick and rope .Despair and saddened .

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Jim's spring device is brilliant. You can leave the spring box clamped in it and just settle whole thing down on the bench if you don't need to take it apart. Only improvement, I can see would to have two of them.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I'm going to chime in now and PLEASE tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I've removed my spring boxes by A) remove the screw holding in the hydraulic damper B) raise machine up in air with a floor jack and a piece of 2" x 6" cut off, or similar C) loosen lower screw on spring bolt and remove by hand. Then the top comes off as easily. So to sum up, I release the tension off the springs by raising my bike in the air. Instead of trying to tension the springs to remove and refit, just release the tension and remove the spring boxes. Why do I have that funny feeling someone is fast approaching from behind to whack me in the head ?
Sounds good, I hope that I can remember it when I have to work there.

twobyfour

VOC Member
Mine is an upgrade on the one first pictured in this thread - it uses nesting square tube to keep the thread rod from buckling. I have a 3" compression which is not possible with the rope/windlass method, too sketchy around finished paint.
That's a great idea, Jim. Thanks!

Allan.

twobyfour

VOC Member
'Don't forget some PUR rings on the bottom.'

Hi Vincent. I'm not sure what you mean by this. Polyurethane rings, or something else? I've not heard about those.

Allan.