FF: Forks Spring Box Tool

powella

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Probably the most used tool in the workshop.Designed by Roger Haylett of the East Midlands section many years ago.
Photo`s are pretty self explanatory.

Attachments

• IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1707.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 22

twobyfour

VOC Member
Thanks for the link, Bruce.
With those instructions and the photos posted earlier, I should be able to make one of those.

Allan.

twobyfour

VOC Member
More is better, as far as I am concerned, so yes please to any other info you may have about this tool.

I have fitted a JE/NW steering stem with Norman's recommended springs. With a few miles on the bike and monitoring how much the springs compress in use, II think that they may be a little on the soft side. I would like to experiment with preload, adding a shortened inner spring etc. but the thought of approaching the task without a decent tool fills me with dread.

I initially fitted the new springs with the front end kit using the twisted rope method I read somewhere on here. I got there in the end, but it's not a method that I would like to use again.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I use the same tool as Tim, but not quite so sophisticated, instead of a stick, I tension the tool to exactly the correct tension to align the top bolt by using the axle tommy bar (without the axle nut in place) to tension the tool, sometimes I add an additional tube onto the tommy bar, which affords greater mechanical advantage and accuracy, and before anyone suggests, I have been using this method for in excess of 58 years, and have not managed to wreck a fuel tank yet, but I suppose there is always a first time......