Spline cutting

Little Honda

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, Glen,
to another subject, but in the same context: Do you have experience with lengthening of Honda CB750 - kickstart levers? If so, can you give information about materials used, as well as details on welding? There are some nice modified levers around, but I do not know, where they were made by whom and how.

Howard

VOC Member
Hi, Glen,
to another subject, but in the same context: Do you have experience with lengthening of Honda CB750 - kickstart levers? If so, can you give information about materials used, as well as details on welding? There are some nice modified levers around, but I do not know, where they were made by whom and how.

I think they're made by Glen Bewley, if not, it's someone who posts on the VOC Facebook page.

H

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Howard is correct, at least some of what appear to be lengthened CB750 kickstarts fitted to Vincent specials are actually new items custom made by Glenn Bewely.
I altered a long version of a CB 750 kickstart lever to fit my Special. It is working OK as is, though it is about two inches shorter than a standard kicker. The standard length kicker is about ideal for length but the shape just doesnt work on my bike, plus cost is high.

Glen

Last edited:

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Roy, do you have a K/S shaft with CB750 splines cut on the original shaft, or do you have the HONDA part being welded to the VINCENT shaft? I have just
broken twice my welded item, so that I would like to know, if one can turn off the VINCENT splines and cut the HONDA splines on it?
My welded shaft broke first, because the centralizing bore in the Honda part was not in line. The second weld broke, because I sacrificed a short Honda kick start lever by cutting its end off and lengthening it by a tube, being bent at its end for trying out the effect on kicking with a longer lever. It was about 4 in longer than the Honda item and did the job so well, that it felt, as if there were no plugs in! But only twice: Then the weld broke again.
Now I know: The ideal length is abt. 2 in longer, than the longer version of the Honda kick start lever, and the shaft should be app. 1/2 in longer than the original one, to clear the footrest and the gearchange lever, when kicking (a Norvin).

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi Howard, I had not heard of this method of machining so did the usual google search and read up. I noticed that the info on the machine I read about was in either German or English, so I can imagine the cost of the unit.
It sounds like another item to add to the shop want list, but then what does one do for the rest of the winter evening if the spline gets cut in a matter of minutes instead of hours?
Could always sit on a bike and make motor noises for a couple of hours I suppose.:cool:
Whatever is cut by wire is a time consuming process, depending on volume of material to be removed. I once cut a clutch form for a belt drive, Approx 6" dia x 4" thick, it took around 15 hours. But that was 20 odd years ago, machines now have faster removal rates. Cost of machine ? start thinking in terms of £70,000 +.