Spline cutting

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Howard, I had not heard of this method of machining so did the usual google search and read up. I noticed that the info on the machine I read about was in either German or English, so I can imagine the cost of the unit.
It sounds like another item to add to the shop want list, but then what does one do for the rest of the winter evening if the spline gets cut in a matter of minutes instead of hours?
Could always sit on a bike and make motor noises for a couple of hours I suppose.:cool:

Howard

VOC Member
Glen, having seen how quickly you put that great special together, I can't see you ever sitting around with nothing to do.

H

champion

VOC Member
The company which I work for has a large broaching capability. (We make clutch kits for cars.)

We have over 55 broaches around 1" in size.

I do not know what size or how many teeth a vincent kick start is, but

http://www.helix-autosport.com/racing-clutches/215mm-cerametallic-organic-drive-plate-hub-spline/

Is our website, go to the bottom of the page and it will list about 40 of our most common spline sizes.

If we ever get asked to make a spline which we do not have, we get it spark erroded (costs around £40) I can try and find out were we do this if you want? It is either in Birmingham or Coventry.

Alex

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Howard.
I suppose that with these old bikes we always have something that needs tending to. Of interest, on the Special, the problems so far have come from high tech items, the speedo sending unit, and the self cancelling turn indicator module.

Glen

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks Howard.
I suppose that with these old bikes we always have something that needs tending to. Of interest, on the Special, the problems so far have come from high tech items, the speedo sending unit, and the self cancelling turn indicator module.

Glen

Yep. Always something that needs tending to............. usually putting right the last adjustment I made......... When will I learn to "leave well enough alone" ?

H

clevtrev

VOC Member
The company which I work for has a large broaching capability. (We make clutch kits for cars.)

We have over 55 broaches around 1" in size.

I do not know what size or how many teeth a vincent kick start is, but

http://www.helix-autosport.com/racing-clutches/215mm-cerametallic-organic-drive-plate-hub-spline/

Is our website, go to the bottom of the page and it will list about 40 of our most common spline sizes.

If we ever get asked to make a spline which we do not have, we get it spark erroded (costs around £40) I can try and find out were we do this if you want? It is either in Birmingham or Coventry.

Alex
A k/s is adorned with serrations, not splines.

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
You beat me to it Trev,

The splines are on the other end of the K/S shaft.
A spline is guided on it's major or minor diameter & drives on the flanks. Serrations are guided & driven on their flanks and as soon as you tighten the pinch bolt you are probably only gripping 3 or 4 serrations out of the 40, which is why the bolt needs to be nipped up every now & then.

Ray

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The machinist who modified my twin starter shaft to take a cb 750 crank reckoned that it was not a spline. He said it was a knurl, whatever- it now fits "like the paper on the wall". Thats one area where Harleys win, they had the sense to utilise a big section square, so a big twin starter crank has virtually no resale value because they don't go wossname!

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I had a mate who was fed up with always having to replace his commando kickstart lever or shaft as they failed regularly so he ground it to a square and used a harley kickstart lever,I think its still on and that was about 30 years ago,which reminds me,my atlas is starting to go west and i've recently been given a h-d kickstart lever.

Howard

VOC Member
Yep. They're definitely serrations, but try phoning machine shops and asking if they can cut internal serrations - eventually they'll say "Oh, you mean a spline!" - so you end up asking for a spline with sharp corners. :)

H