Misc: Everything Else Series 'D' Speedo Drive

Chris Marshall

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi guys
I have two restored speedo drive gear boxes, with different length threads, the short one is for my C Rapide, I think the other one is for a D ? Am I correct?
Regards Chris
4D497F86-8F5E-48A7-B901-3BF100E89892.jpeg
547BCAD1-7165-4E66-9B2C-52ED512DEE32.jpeg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Yes you are correct my handsome, I bought a new one with long thread from Conway's in the 90's ex WD supply in green but it went the wrong way anti clock inn for clock out so I modified a brake plate turned the wheel round and used it on my Rap with fixed speedo and tachometer of 5" variety so left the cable with a bend in it, as forks worked independently reducing sprung weight, the tachometer was from a Jaguar 6 k rpm (more in keeping with speed range) but 2: reduction not 4:1 so came direct off Grosset trigger unit, doing an anti clock wise movement and the speedo going clockwise, so when both needles vertical 80 MPH & 3 k RPM for carousing speed.

DSC_4285.jpeg

delboy

VOC Member
Sorry Marcus,
the original "D" speedo box [at least enclosed models; I haven't checked "open"] Is certainly long bodied BUT, has the output shaft BEHIND the input shaft, not in front as in the photo.
So strictly speaking, the one in Chis' picture is just a long B/C box. All subject to having the correct gears inside of course.
Regards,
delboy.

Chris Marshall

VOC Member
Sorry Marcus,
the original "D" speedo box [at least enclosed models; I haven't checked "open"] Is certainly long bodied BUT, has the output shaft BEHIND the input shaft, not in front as in the photo.
So strictly speaking, the one in Chis' picture is just a long B/C box. All subject to having the correct gears inside of course.
Regards,
delboy.
Now this is what I was after, I have just seen an original Knight and yes it is the other way up, but I have seen a D Shadow with it the same way as I have got! So, were they supposed to be different?

delboy

VOC Member
I have just learned something!
"Motor cycling" road test in '55 of "open" "D" shows that the long version of the speedo box, with the output shaft in FRONT [as in Chris' pic'] was indeed fitted to "open" D's.
It's also shown on a factory photo in one of the Roy Harper books.
regards,
delboy.

Chris Marshall

VOC Member
I have just learned something!
"Motor cycling" road test in '55 of "open" "D" shows that the long version of the speedo box, with the output shaft in FRONT [as in Chris' pic'] was indeed fitted to "open" D's.
It's also shown on a factory photo in one of the Roy Harper books.
regards,
delboy.
Perfect.
Thanks delboy.
Now, does anyone want one?

delboy

VOC Member
Having put my specs on, it's difficult to see [on the images I have] if the "open" D speedo box is a long version or short like the C.
The "upside down" "enclosed" D is a long one.
Every day's a learner.
delboy.