Plugs-KLG-1943-1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Plugs-KLG-1944-1.jpg
    Plugs-KLG-1944-1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 5

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was just perusing Ebay and there is an earlier cat. from '56 and that one shows Vincents using the FE70 plug. I wonder if that later
cat. was just updating, clarifying, or what... time to ponder
Look through the later catalog and see if there is any reference at all to FE70 for anything. If not I would suggest that FE70 was dropped and a cooler plug was substituted rather than a hotter one. My Richardson's says FE70 as does my owners handbook. Now looking through my copy of KTB from 1977 Chapter 19, Sub Chapter III says, "In addition to the plugs officially recommended by the factory and listed in the Rider's Handbook and Vincent Motorcycles, the K.L.G. plug FE75 available after production ceased at Stevenage gives good results on most engines."

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
John, what do you mean by "little" Champion caps.
Charlie, I am referring to the PR37 hard plastic (Bakelite?) brown caps as sold by VOC Spares. It has a built-in screw-on top knob and a long brass inside connector (tube with a flat at one end with a hole for the wire and a hole in the flat to drop over the top threads of the plug (without its bulb shaped nut). My '48 Rapide had one original and one plain replacement. The PR37 from VOCS matches the original very nicely although a bit pricey. Both have CHAMPION on them.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Charlie, I am referring to the PR37 hard plastic (Bakelite?) brown caps as sold by VOC Spares. It has a built-in screw-on top knob and a long brass inside connector (tube with a flat at one end with a hole for the wire and a hole in the flat to drop over the top threads of the plug (without its bulb shaped nut). My '48 Rapide had one original and one plain replacement. The PR37 from VOCS matches the original very nicely although a bit pricey. Both have CHAMPION on them.
I still have the original 'screw on' Bakelite plug caps as fitted to my Rapide when purchased 50 years ago. At that time most spark plugs had a small spring (?) washer fitted under the screw on top connector. This washer was left in situ when used with the screw on caps allowing them to be fully tightened. Unfortunately this washer was discontinued and the connector lengthened to suit. Without the washer it is not possible to tighten the Bakelite caps securely.

Alyson

VOC Member
I still have the original 'screw on' Bakelite plug caps as fitted to my Rapide when purchased 50 years ago. At that time most spark plugs had a small spring (?) washer fitted under the screw on top connector. This washer was left in situ when used with the screw on caps allowing them to be fully tightened. Unfortunately this washer was discontinued and the connector lengthened to suit. Without the washer it is not possible to tighten the Bakelite caps securely.
can we get a pic of the washer and cap, Please ??

b'knighted

VOC Member
I found the FE75's , used for fairly fast roadwork on my 'C' Shadow were the ideal ones. No problems at all and lasted well.
This was before the current National Speed Limit came into being.
Was this the C Shadow with the champhered footrest rubbers that attended the Roding rally on the weekend that Elvis died?

Don Morris

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I certainly had chamfered footrest rubbers. the footrests were chamfered as well, but not perhaps at the Roding Rally. I was young then and not too clever! I switched the footrests to the pillion positions before selling the bike. which would have left next owner puzzled. The Avon tyres never let go thank goodness. I have always been aware of the necessity of having good tyres after bad experiences with Michelin front - casing failed- and Goodyear rear, stiff as old boots and wore square.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
can we get a pic of the washer and cap, Please ??
PR37 Spark Plug Cap.jpg

This is the PR37 Spark Plug Cap - you can see CHAMPION on the top (why I asked which plugs originally came since the caps are from Champion). It is actually dark brown not black. As for the spring washer - envision a Lock Washer sized about 4 MM or US #8 screw - whatever is the thread at the top of our Vincent spark plugs. The little screw on bulb type nut used to (very long ago) come with tiny (spring) lock washers. With many modern plugs, the bulb nut is not even removable but is made as part of the center electrode wire.