Misc: Ignition Spark Plugs

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My spark plug of choice is KLG FE70, I have had short lived failures with NGK and others in the past, I have no idea whether I was sold fakes way back when, but I doubt anyone in China is knocking out fake KLG plugs so I stick with them, and for me they simply work in every respect. If you keep your eyes open they are still available from time to time for similar money to the modern equivalents, fakes and all, but recently I picked up a few KLG FE70 A spark plugs, but the A is lower case size but upper case font if that makes sense, it is just a small capital A. Does anyone know what this suffix indicates, the only thing I notice about them is the threaded HT cap on the top of the plug is very difficult to remove, a bit like it has been permanently locktighted onto the thread, I always need to remove these as I run Black NGK non resister plug caps, I can remove them with gentle heat, but despite extensive searching on the net, I cannot find any reference to the small A suffix.

oexing

VOC Member
This fake spark plugs thing is a matter I have never faced in decades, possibly because I stick with the Bosch types for their nice nickel plating. I´d think most problems from spark plugs have their roots in picking the wrong grade, when your style of riding the bike does not match the grade of plugs. Have a good look at the plugs on a road side stop for light brown or grey colour, no dark shades accepted. That is after you got correct carb jetting done for good performance , not jetting for plug looks .
And yes, I do MoS2 grease on plug threads all the time, most important in alu heads. This is not for corrosion matters but for protecting from seizures/galling of alu thread, no corrosion effect here. Same goes with stainless bolts in alu cases , either MoS2 paste or Loctite for securing critical fasteners, seals threads at same time.

Vic

litnman

VOC Member
Has anyone tried these?
KLG SPARK PLUG CL1LF.jpg

LoneStar

VOC Member
Interesting - never seen these before, and they don't appear in the period KLG lists I have. Perhaps limited to the French market?

Looks like they have triple ground electrodes, so the gap will scarcely expand over time. I did find this cross-reference, claiming they're the "Demont." (what does that mean?) version of the KLG FFE70, equivalent to Champion N8.

A few CL-series KLG plugs can be found on French Ebay.

ericg

VOC Member
I'd say Demont. is an abbreviation for "Demontable" which means it can be disassembled.

Damien McGouran

Active Forum User
VOC Member
My spark plug of choice is KLG FE70, I have had short lived failures with NGK and others in the past, I have no idea whether I was sold fakes way back when, but I doubt anyone in China is knocking out fake KLG plugs so I stick with them, and for me they simply work in every respect. If you keep your eyes open they are still available from time to time for similar money to the modern equivalents, fakes and all, but recently I picked up a few KLG FE70 A spark plugs, but the A is lower case size but upper case font if that makes sense, it is just a small capital A. Does anyone know what this suffix indicates, the only thing I notice about them is the threaded HT cap on the top of the plug is very difficult to remove, a bit like it has been permanently locktighted onto the thread, I always need to remove these as I run Black NGK non resister plug caps, I can remove them with gentle heat, but despite extensive searching on the net, I cannot find any reference to the small A suffix.
Hiya. I have a KLG catalogue and it quotes that the FE70A was discontinued and the the replacement plug is the FE70.
Regards
Damien

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Damien, Thanks for the info, does your catalogue give you the specifications for both types of plug with regard to heat range etc. I have both types on the shelf, and they appear to be visually identical.

Alyson

VOC Member
the KLG catalouge shows an FE75 for B, C, and D series machines, all