Spares company petrol tank

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Around here, our Section members usually finish up a repaired tank by having the inside tin plated.
john

Chrome and cad platers are common enough, do the same shops also typically do tin plating? Does the outside get plated, too? If not, the process must be interesting. And last, but not least, what are the contact details for the shops you have had success with?

Thanks,

davidd

VOC Member
I believe the new tanks are made by one or two suppliers in India. I know that one of these tanks spilt on a members bike within a few miles of operation. I do not know who the manufacturer was.

The old tanks do come up. I know of three that changed hands last year alone. I also know several owners who wanted tanks but refused to pay the price. One of these got the new tank that spilt. He ultimately bought an original tank. I think you have to be patient and more determined to get a real tank, something that should be familiar to most Vincent owners.

The tinning that I have seen is on the entire tank. Usual paint prep would be unaffected by the tin in my experience. I have never had a tank tinned, but I think it is a worthy idea.

David

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Here's the info.............
Oregon Retinners
www.retinners.com Wire Whips Prices ... is the art of plating utensils, cookware, and other metal objects with a thin layer of tin. ... Hubbard, Oregon, 97032 (503) 287-7696 ...
Or, GOOGLE Oregon Retinners.
Cheers, John

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Stannate tin or bright tin ? But remember if you have rust holes, after tinning you will still have rust holes.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Whatever Somer's friend Bones put in my tank in 1986 is still holding up to US gasahol. It is white, but very thin even translucent in many places.

wld50

Non-VOC Member
Ordered

I believe the new tanks are made by one or two suppliers in India. I know that one of these tanks spilt on a members bike within a few miles of operation. I do not know who the manufacturer was.

The old tanks do come up. I know of three that changed hands last year alone. I also know several owners who wanted tanks but refused to pay the price. One of these got the new tank that spilt. He ultimately bought an original tank. I think you have to be patient and more determined to get a real tank, something that should be familiar to most Vincent owners.

The tinning that I have seen is on the entire tank. Usual paint prep would be unaffected by the tin in my experience. I have never had a tank tinned, but I think it is a worthy idea.

David

Thank you David.
P's ordered a mid-price Indian tank after some email correspondence with the seller who admitted early problems but maintains they have been sorted.
When he can fit it to his UFM he hopes to comment on it (favourably or not) on the forum.
Someone reported that they are heavier (made of thicker steel?)
What gauge plate/ weight is standard? Mine is on the bike.

lyn
ps This thread probably belongs in the Technical section