F: Frame Snapped Rear Mudguard Strut

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Peter, I saw Tim's bike at one of Committee meetings at the Spares Company and it has this really professionally made frame holding up the rear of the seat with tensioners, attached to the middle of the support struts off each side , going forward to, I think, the sidecar mounting hole. I mentioned it on here and I seem to remember Tim posting a photograph. Whether Ben designed and made it or not I dont know but as it is their design and Ben works on bikes to earn money then I assume that they could help out somehow.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
No good for me then Norman, I had one of those fantastic Walkernator Nippon Denso alternators fitted to my bike a few years ago, highly successful by the the way, but the sidecar mount is used for the polybelt adjuster!

timetraveller

VOC Member
I cannot be sure that it was the sidecar hole which was used. It would be worth asking Tim or Ben. Even if it is being use I think that the belt tension adjusting eccentric which uses that hole could be thined down to make space. We need a photo or drawing of the Kingman's system.

danno

Non-VOC Member
The earth wire’s connected to the mounting at the indicator. I think it’s just something that’s come adrift. Same problem as originally.
These indicators are quite fiddly. The earth wire has detached from the bulb holder as well as the 12v feed wire near the headstock.
Took over a week to repair all these with tank off and re routing looms.
I’ll have to use it with no indicators.
Don’t think it’s a legal requirement anyway.

Attachments

• 002E4EDD-C34F-48AA-8E35-A21A0384EE81.jpeg
    002E4EDD-C34F-48AA-8E35-A21A0384EE81.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 30

vibrac

VOC Member
Here it is as described
Its my design and adjustable (its a Vincent no two are the same ;) )
Ben doesn't make it but I sure he would if he was asked
1660467478001.jpeg
1660467588274.png

Attachments

• 1660467574100.png
    1660467574100.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 30

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I tend to agree here with mike. If you’re running the craven system it has to have some float or else things start to break. I know on a long trip with my comet I broke a couple of items due to the craven rack. They need to be set up with care and attention to function right.

danno

Non-VOC Member
The rear of the seat can be fully sprung, a coil over damper can be used to replace the two springs and the damper under the seat
The sprung seat would be good. It feels like a rigid frame at the moment.
I think the shocks are Koni’s. Used to have sidecar springs but I’m sure these were changed.
So basically go from twin to monoshock much like today’s bikes.

timetraveller

VOC Member
It is not that the monoshock is better but it does allow adjustment of both the spring tension and damping. Rather it is the fully springing of the seat rear. Konis were ofter thought of as too hard to the extent that people used to fit them on the rear to try to get them to soften up before putting them on the front. It is possible that your Konis are still too firm.
Regarding fitting panniers to one of Tim's subrames my suggestion would be to weld or braze two short tubes on to the rear of the uprights into which 'spikes' on the front of a carrier frame could slide to allow easy fitting and removal...There might be bends in the uprights which would affect the design. The constructor would need to have details of the pannier fttings before a kit could be designed and made.

highbury731

VOC Member
As I understand it, the spring boxes themselves add friction to the rear suspension, and have a tendency to cock over and jam