• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Shoddy parts and bad customer service

highbury731

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I get annoyed when I am sold shoddy parts....
Recently I bought a speedo drive cable from Venhill. It was made-to-measure, 64 1/2" long. It arrived the day after I ordered it, and the length was exactly what I asked for. It fitted perfectly, and it seemed well made and finished - so I was well pleased with it.

After 15 miles, it broke. The speedo-end ferule fell off, because the sheath was 3/4" short - only the crimped part had sheath inside it, the rest of the ferule was empty. Fracture of the drive cable was inevitable.
So I sent the cable back to Venhill, with a letter explaining the situation, and asking for a replacement cable. That arrived at Venhill on Tuesday. I rang them to confirm what was in the letter, and ask that it be done promptly as I was about to go on a trip on the bike.
Come Friday, still no cable - so I rang Venhill again to ask when I might receive my replacement cable. I was told "It can't be made today, and it's scheduled to be made on Tuesday next week". After explaining, I was promised fabrication on Monday for a Tuesday delivery.
It didn't arrive in Tuesday's post, so I rang - to be told that it would be made on Wednesday some time, for a Thursday or Friday delivery. I politely explained again about the promised delivery, and that I was needing it urgently, to no avail
This is a classic example of shoddy manufacture, and a 'don't care about the customer' attitude which deserves to give companies a bad name.
(I just had a look on line, and see that an AJS twin or single speedo cable is 65" long. Should I need another speedo cable for this particular bike, I will buy one of those - as long as it is not Venhill.)

I will avoid Venhill products in future. Also, I want to place a bad service review on the internet where anyone will read it. Suggestions?

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
More power to you. I have never dealt with this company but with the advent of the internet it is possible to warn many potential customer of poor quality components, and in this case, apparently poor service.

ossie

VOC Member
I get annoyed when I am sold shoddy parts....
Recently I bought a speedo drive cable from Venhill. It was made-to-measure, 64 1/2" long. It arrived the day after I ordered it, and the length was exactly what I asked for. It fitted perfectly, and it seemed well made and finished - so I was well pleased with it.

After 15 miles, it broke. The speedo-end ferule fell off, because the sheath was 3/4" short - only the crimped part had sheath inside it, the rest of the ferule was empty. Fracture of the drive cable was inevitable.
So I sent the cable back to Venhill, with a letter explaining the situation, and asking for a replacement cable. That arrived at Venhill on Tuesday. I rang them to confirm what was in the letter, and ask that it be done promptly as I was about to go on a trip on the bike.
Come Friday, still no cable - so I rang Venhill again to ask when I might receive my replacement cable. I was told "It can't be made today, and it's scheduled to be made on Tuesday next week". After explaining, I was promised fabrication on Monday for a Tuesday delivery.
It didn't arrive in Tuesday's post, so I rang - to be told that it would be made on Wednesday some time, for a Thursday or Friday delivery. I politely explained again about the promised delivery, and that I was needing it urgently, to no avail
This is a classic example of shoddy manufacture, and a 'don't care about the customer' attitude which deserves to give companies a bad name.
(I just had a look on line, and see that an AJS twin or single speedo cable is 65" long. Should I need another speedo cable for this particular bike, I will buy one of those - as long as it is not Venhill.)

I will avoid Venhill products in future. Also, I want to place a bad service review on the internet where anyone will read it. Suggestions?
do make sure its wound the right

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Leeson seen;
Dont order a speedo cable there.

But they do have some very nice other products.
And nothing wrong there.

Although some might not believe it, I always stay humble and dont shout.

If its not to be, it wont be there.

Make your own cable.
:D

vibrac

VOC Member
I did ask them at the show if they sold the long reach decompressor (The RE is short reach) without the modern lever and gubbins that its shown with on their site ,they said yes but I haven't bought one yet

MartynG

VOC Member
More power to you. I have never dealt with this company but with the advent of the internet it is possible to warn many potential customer of poor quality components, and in this case, apparently poor service.
I have dealt with Venhills for years, purchasing component to make my own cables and have never had a problem with them. Then again I have never ordered a made up cable.

Their components are first class.

Glenliman

VOC Member
Their Featherlight cables have a stainless steel inner and a Teflon lined outer with silver soldered ends. These are the best cables you can use and they last. No need for lube, no hygroscopic problem ( nylon liners have that) and the most slippery cables you'll find. Clutch pull on one stiff clutch went from 21lbs pull with freshly lubed standard cable to 13 pounds just by switching to a Venhills Featherlight. The stainless on Teflon is magic.
I had them make up custom Featherlight Throttle and brake cables for the Rapide. Nice stuff. I doubt I will ever need to replace it
Ive also made up a number of cables from their universal component kits. These are galvanized inner rather than stainless so they aren't quite on par with the Featherlight.

I would give Venhills another go, maybe the poor service was a one off. Shame to miss out on such quality products.
Glen

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Watching Venhills videos on making cables made me decide to invest in a solder pot and also their inner cable bird caging tool. I bought mine when they were a lot cheaper and it works a treat.

With regards to the long reach decompressor I decided to use the lever supplied in the kit on my Rudge race bike. It has made starting the bike on rollers so much easier. I no longer have to make sure to pull back on compression first and it must also be cutting down on both tyre and roller wear, as well as not draining the battery as quickly.

Normski

VOC Member
I like Venhills cables but when I had a problem with an order from them I found their customer service uncaring and dishonest which has put me off dealing with them again.

vibrac

VOC Member
Watching Venhills videos on making cables made me decide to invest in a solder pot and also their inner cable bird caging tool. I bought mine when they were a lot cheaper and it works a treat.

With regards to the long reach decompressor I decided to use the lever supplied in the kit on my Rudge race bike. It has made starting the bike on rollers so much easier. I no longer have to make sure to pull back on compression first and it must also be cutting down on both tyre and roller wear, as well as not draining the battery as quickly.
Dont have that problem with the Foxley starter I think it would start a fergie tractor! it would start our 1300 Egli or Bens Flying Brick without a valve lifter it uses old go cart tyres and a nice petrol engine.
Only disadvantage it needs a second person to use it grandson Ruben (10) has no problem.
At home in the garage I have a 4HP motor roller on the mains it draws 13.5 amps so is borderline on a recalcitrant engine ! Can you still get 15amp plugs and fuses ?:eek:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I just cut up some angle iron last night so I could make my own bird cage tool. I’m assuming the bevel in the end of the drift and the bevel in the bottom of the bore is just done with a drill bit? Any chance of a close up photo?

Cyborg

VOC Member
I like Venhills cables but when I had a problem with an order from them I found their customer service uncaring and dishonest which has put me off dealing with them again.
Seems to be a big difference between Venhill in the UK and Venhill USA. I’ve ordered hydraulic lines and cable parts from the US supplier and he even returns my emails on Sunday while he’s in the air travelling. I needed some cable ends that they didn’t carry and he brought some in for me. Actually one of the better businesses I’ve dealt with.

Trickymicky

Website User
VOC Member
I've used Venhill cables for many years and always found the control cables to be excellent, as is the website shop for bits to make your own cables

However, a couple of years ago for convenience, i sent them two cables as patterns, so they could make up replacements- a clutch cable for a Norton International, and a short throttle cable for a trials bike, which, admittedly consisted of two parts as it went through a reduction box, and then on to the carb.

Anyway, a few days later, a girl phoned up and wanted my card number for the payment of £116, which sounded a lot to me, eventually reducing it to £93 after i complained. I shall stick to making my own in future.

Glenliman

VOC Member
They are a bit pricey on made to order cables. I feel it's worth it to get easy pull, no lube cables and, most importantly, to have a cable that won't let go by breaking or losing an end when most needed. The front brake cable on the Vincent might be the most important part on the bike. It definitely is when you are two up doing 70 mph on a two lane highway , come over a rise and see a pickup truck across your lane, oncoming vehicle in other lane. We did survive, the brake system was tested to the max. I ended up sitting on the gas tank from the -g force and bike stopped maybe ten feet from the stationary truck!
At a time like that a few extra GBP spent on a really skookum front brake cable set seems quite worthwhile.

Venhills off the shelf cables are very low cost. Sometimes an off the shelf item for a common bike will fit you requirements.
As an example of off the shelf cable cost, a 51"Norton Commando clutch cable in Featherlight is 12 GBP.
I imagine the bits and pieces are this much or more to make one up, and the made up cable won't be Featherlight spec.

Glen

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I just cut up some angle iron last night so I could make my own bird cage tool. I’m assuming the bevel in the end of the drift and the bevel in the bottom of the bore is just done with a drill bit? Any chance of a close up photo?
Yes I can do that for you, but maybe not for a couple of weeks. I think it should be quite simple to make your own bird caging tool, but think the parts probably need heat treatment for longevity.

Normski

VOC Member
I found it helpful to drill a hole at the bottom of the recess in the drift which is the right size for the cable to slot into. This holds it together when being drifted and helps to make a good birdcage. It only need to be about 4mm deep.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I found it helpful to drill a hole at the bottom of the recess in the drift which is the right size for the cable to slot into. This holds it together when being drifted and helps to make a good birdcage. It only need to be about 4mm deep.
Thanks... I'll add that to the drift and give it a try.

highbury731

VOC Member
The promised speedo cable was finally posted on Thursday last week and arrived in Scotland on Saturday, so I am very glad I didn't wait for it. It seems that my request that it be expedited resulted in SLOWER delivery.
I already had spare brake and clutch cables for that bike, which turn out to be Venhill. They seem nicely made, tho' the brake was 1" too long, so had to be shortened. It works nicely and gives a much firmer brake lever. After this trip I will probably fit the new clutch cable as well
Paul

Normski

VOC Member
The promised speedo cable was finally posted on Thursday last week and arrived in Scotland on Saturday, so I am very glad I didn't wait for it. It seems that my request that it be expedited resulted in SLOWER delivery.
I already had spare brake and clutch cables for that bike, which turn out to be Venhill. They seem nicely made, tho' the brake was 1" too long, so had to be shortened. It works nicely and gives a much firmer brake lever. After this trip I will probably fit the new clutch cable as well
Paul
For my Guzzi I've been buying throttle cables from WeMoto and what they have been supplying are Venhill cables (cheaper than dealing direct though) I ordered some more some weeks ago and WeMoto tell me they are on back order with 3 weeks delivery time, so Venhill might be having difficulty fulfilling their orders at the moment.

Latest Forum Posts

Latest Forum Threads