Shoddy parts and bad customer service

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I get annoyed when I am sold shoddy parts....
Recently I bought a speedo drive cable from Venhill. It was made-to-measure, 64 1/2" long. It arrived the day after I ordered it, and the length was exactly what I asked for. It fitted perfectly, and it seemed well made and finished - so I was well pleased with it.

After 15 miles, it broke. The speedo-end ferule fell off, because the sheath was 3/4" short - only the crimped part had sheath inside it, the rest of the ferule was empty. Fracture of the drive cable was inevitable.
So I sent the cable back to Venhill, with a letter explaining the situation, and asking for a replacement cable. That arrived at Venhill on Tuesday. I rang them to confirm what was in the letter, and ask that it be done promptly as I was about to go on a trip on the bike.
Come Friday, still no cable - so I rang Venhill again to ask when I might receive my replacement cable. I was told "It can't be made today, and it's scheduled to be made on Tuesday next week". After explaining, I was promised fabrication on Monday for a Tuesday delivery.
It didn't arrive in Tuesday's post, so I rang - to be told that it would be made on Wednesday some time, for a Thursday or Friday delivery. I politely explained again about the promised delivery, and that I was needing it urgently, to no avail
This is a classic example of shoddy manufacture, and a 'don't care about the customer' attitude which deserves to give companies a bad name.
(I just had a look on line, and see that an AJS twin or single speedo cable is 65" long. Should I need another speedo cable for this particular bike, I will buy one of those - as long as it is not Venhill.)

I will avoid Venhill products in future. Also, I want to place a bad service review on the internet where anyone will read it. Suggestions?

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
More power to you. I have never dealt with this company but with the advent of the internet it is possible to warn many potential customer of poor quality components, and in this case, apparently poor service.

ossie

VOC Member
I get annoyed when I am sold shoddy parts....
Recently I bought a speedo drive cable from Venhill. It was made-to-measure, 64 1/2" long. It arrived the day after I ordered it, and the length was exactly what I asked for. It fitted perfectly, and it seemed well made and finished - so I was well pleased with it.

After 15 miles, it broke. The speedo-end ferule fell off, because the sheath was 3/4" short - only the crimped part had sheath inside it, the rest of the ferule was empty. Fracture of the drive cable was inevitable.
So I sent the cable back to Venhill, with a letter explaining the situation, and asking for a replacement cable. That arrived at Venhill on Tuesday. I rang them to confirm what was in the letter, and ask that it be done promptly as I was about to go on a trip on the bike.
Come Friday, still no cable - so I rang Venhill again to ask when I might receive my replacement cable. I was told "It can't be made today, and it's scheduled to be made on Tuesday next week". After explaining, I was promised fabrication on Monday for a Tuesday delivery.
It didn't arrive in Tuesday's post, so I rang - to be told that it would be made on Wednesday some time, for a Thursday or Friday delivery. I politely explained again about the promised delivery, and that I was needing it urgently, to no avail
This is a classic example of shoddy manufacture, and a 'don't care about the customer' attitude which deserves to give companies a bad name.
(I just had a look on line, and see that an AJS twin or single speedo cable is 65" long. Should I need another speedo cable for this particular bike, I will buy one of those - as long as it is not Venhill.)

I will avoid Venhill products in future. Also, I want to place a bad service review on the internet where anyone will read it. Suggestions?
do make sure its wound the right

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Leeson seen;
Dont order a speedo cable there.

But they do have some very nice other products.
And nothing wrong there.

Although some might not believe it, I always stay humble and dont shout.

If its not to be, it wont be there.

Make your own cable.
:D

vibrac

VOC Member
I did ask them at the show if they sold the long reach decompressor (The RE is short reach) without the modern lever and gubbins that its shown with on their site ,they said yes but I haven't bought one yet

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
More power to you. I have never dealt with this company but with the advent of the internet it is possible to warn many potential customer of poor quality components, and in this case, apparently poor service.
I have dealt with Venhills for years, purchasing component to make my own cables and have never had a problem with them. Then again I have never ordered a made up cable.

Their components are first class.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Their Featherlight cables have a stainless steel inner and a Teflon lined outer with silver soldered ends. These are the best cables you can use and they last. No need for lube, no hygroscopic problem ( nylon liners have that) and the most slippery cables you'll find. Clutch pull on one stiff clutch went from 21lbs pull with freshly lubed standard cable to 13 pounds just by switching to a Venhills Featherlight. The stainless on Teflon is magic.
I had them make up custom Featherlight Throttle and brake cables for the Rapide. Nice stuff. I doubt I will ever need to replace it
Ive also made up a number of cables from their universal component kits. These are galvanized inner rather than stainless so they aren't quite on par with the Featherlight.

I would give Venhills another go, maybe the poor service was a one off. Shame to miss out on such quality products.
Glen

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Watching Venhills videos on making cables made me decide to invest in a solder pot and also their inner cable bird caging tool. I bought mine when they were a lot cheaper and it works a treat.

With regards to the long reach decompressor I decided to use the lever supplied in the kit on my Rudge race bike. It has made starting the bike on rollers so much easier. I no longer have to make sure to pull back on compression first and it must also be cutting down on both tyre and roller wear, as well as not draining the battery as quickly.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I like Venhills cables but when I had a problem with an order from them I found their customer service uncaring and dishonest which has put me off dealing with them again.

vibrac

VOC Member
Watching Venhills videos on making cables made me decide to invest in a solder pot and also their inner cable bird caging tool. I bought mine when they were a lot cheaper and it works a treat.

With regards to the long reach decompressor I decided to use the lever supplied in the kit on my Rudge race bike. It has made starting the bike on rollers so much easier. I no longer have to make sure to pull back on compression first and it must also be cutting down on both tyre and roller wear, as well as not draining the battery as quickly.
Dont have that problem with the Foxley starter I think it would start a fergie tractor! it would start our 1300 Egli or Bens Flying Brick without a valve lifter it uses old go cart tyres and a nice petrol engine.
Only disadvantage it needs a second person to use it grandson Ruben (10) has no problem.
At home in the garage I have a 4HP motor roller on the mains it draws 13.5 amps so is borderline on a recalcitrant engine ! Can you still get 15amp plugs and fuses ?:eek: