ET: Engine (Twin) Shadow Engine strip

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The owner is on the forum and I don't think he minds being known, but I will let him do that.

I think those are the Smith Brothers push rods, which are quite nice, but as Robert pointed out in an earlier post they need to be relieved to make certain they do not foul the follower cups. I think that I mentioned in another post that if builders did not check the clearance of the rocker arm that the rocker may tap the top of the valve guide seal until there is a failure of the push rod. This is that engine, although I am relying on the owners description.

The bike could not be with a better person. He loves riding it!

David

Attachments

• 100_0817.jpg
    100_0817.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51

chrisk67

New Forum User
VOC Member
I think Robert has it right. We did an examination in January and we could see the retaining ring standing proud of the head about 1/8”. I have been working with the head
this afternoon, and I have been able to get the lower guide snug in the bottom of the bore, and the retaining ring flush with the head, screwed down tight.
There was carbon underneath the flange on the guide and retaining ring, so I think it had been loose for a while. Live and learn!

greg brillus

VOC Member
If the lock ring is holding the guide in only it will come loose again. Guide needs to be an interference fit in the head. It would pay to check and be sure, you can either buy or make an oversize one.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
If the lock ring is holding the guide in only it will come loose again. Guide needs to be an interference fit in the head. It would pay to check and be sure, you can either buy or make an oversize one.
Given the witness marks on the still straight pushrod ends you may also consider wasting the pushrod ends, like the originals are, in order to give some additional safe working clearance.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning Mike, When I take the barrels off and while they are off, I put some cloth around the mouth of the cases, If there is a broken bit of ring of circlip pops out, It could go down the hole. Cheers Bill.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
That is always a good idea. I was installing a Lucas dynamo and the key dropped into the primary. One time I had luck and it was resting on the top of the chain and was easy to retrieve. The second time, I didn't learn and it fell into the depths and I was at my brother's house with only the tool in my tool tray, but managed to dismantle and reassemble everything. Can't remember what I used for the clutch post snap rings, maybe he had proper pliers? A cheap rag would have saved a lot of work!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have just been watching another of Mikes youtubes, Stripping the engine of a Twin he has bought, I would not trust a thing on it, Mike doesn't want to part the cases, Which I understand, But I would want to check the oil pump and the gearbox etc, There are things missing and nuts put on with fingers.
Reminds me of a Comet Ron got many years, I was going to drive him to Liverpool and he would ride
it back !! to London, Everything was put on with Fingers or left off !!, No nuts on the gearbox outer cover etc, No carb' and Dynamo, They would come in the post !.
Brake drum nuts put on with Fingers, Nightmare !!. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
I always buy 3 valve end circlips for each head as they sometimes fly off, but in all the years I have never found one sweeping up afterwards (and I always use a magnet search on the dust as a matter of habit). I suppose between my horny thumb and the flat screwdriver a clip could obtain orbital velocity and perhaps there may be a small constelation of them following Elton Musks car in a general Mars direction