ET: Engine (Twin) series c distributor

jwelding7447

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, can anyone confirm the Firing interval for the twins. If the rear cylinder fires first and the front is 50deg after, then the firing interval will be 50 and 670deg. Lots of torque at low revs. BUT is it correct as quite different from 45deg Twin Harleys.
I'm having trouble understanding how the single arm rotar arm as pictured works with 180deg Distributor Cap pickups.( I'm playing at fitting a distributor to my twin, Lucas DKY which has the same shape of rotor arm) as only 25deg Distributor rotation. Were origional deries D rotor arms "Double-ended". It'd be great if anyone has a photo of a Lucas derties D arm.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It is not 50 degrees after but 410 degrees (one full rotation + 50 degrees), so it fires, 410/310, unless you have timed one of the cams on the wrong stroke that is.

vibrac

VOC Member
For a start you are missing the fact that there is 360 +50 between revolutions its Bang, wait, Bang not Bang,Bang bloody long wait!
also remember distributor/mag does not turn at engine speed

jwelding7447

Forum User
VOC Member
Guys, thanks, and yes I've timed the second cam wrong, Why I thought it was fire rear and 50deg later fire the front is just me being "not to smart". Couldn't find a diagram or statement of the firing order anywhere.
Yep I know distributor is half speed with that firing interval its easier to understand and get a DKX2a distributer to work (hopefully with a "powerspark module) with 180deg HT pickups.
Thanks all..

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
This is the rotor arm shown in Spares Company,
807_ROTOR_ARM_DRB101_thumb.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I did a mod' A few years ago on my Special, Used a twin outlet coil, No rotor arm, And a BSA 250cc C11
Cover, ie No H.T. leads from the cover !!, Which gives a wasted spark, Told to me by Len from Southend.
Still don't know how it works :D , But it does, You can't put the H.T. leads on wrong.
You can't have a faulty rotor arm or Distributor cap, So that's 2 things that can't go wrong on the road !.
Magic !. Cheers Bill.

jwelding7447

Forum User
VOC Member
Bill
I'm obliged, That'll be right rotor for the DKX2a distributor. The Lucas part nos was/is 400051.
Its near identical to the Lucas DKY2A Unit for which the rotor arm is 400052. Once I got the correct firing interval it has all made sense and the 180deg Distributor pickups has all fallen into place. I've had great success using the "Accuspark" and "Powerspark" units in my old car distributors so as I've no ignition unit for my rebuild I'm investigating if I can fit the same units tin a Lucas DKY2a unit I have. It needs the rotating trigger magnets to to be moved from 180deg to the 205deg. Previously Powerspark advised I'd have to get a 3D printer company to make a new trigger. I'll post if/when I get a result. I could buy a system "of the shelf" but I enjoy the investigation.
again thanks for your assistance

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The Spares Company has a few spares, Like the alloy boss the fibre pinion goes on,
And on the internet "Distributor Doctor " Down in Devon has a lot of stuff, But NOT cams.
Good Luck, Bill.

jwelding7447

Forum User
VOC Member
I did a mod' A few years ago on my Special, Used a twin outlet coil, No rotor arm, And a BSA 250cc C11
Cover, ie No H.T. leads from the cover !!, Which gives a wasted spark, Told to me by Len from Southend.
Still don't know how it works :D , But it does, You can't put the H.T. leads on wrong.
You can't have a faulty rotor arm or Distributor cap, So that's 2 things that can't go wrong on the road !.
Magic !. Cheers Bill.
Any chance of a wiring schematic?