ET: Engine (Twin) series c distributor

myron sheldon

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a Kemp distributor on a Black Shadow and would like any information concerning parts, most especially a rotor. How are these units regarded by Vincent owners?

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I agree with Bill. We need a photograph. If you are new to Vincents then you need to know that in 1954 Vincents produced the series 'D' bikes which incorporated lots of suggestions for improvements which had been garnered from VOC members and other Vincent riders. Changes were a fully sprung rear end, identical cylinder heads front and rear and coil ignition to aid starting. A distributor was used for the coil ignition with the coil fastened to the drive side of the crank case, above the primary chain cover. Many owners retro fitted this coil ignition system to aid low speed running and starting. The wiper arm inside the distributor is unusual in that it has an extension to its width on its outer edge to take into account the unequal firing intervals of the 50 degree vee twin engine. If it is this wiper arm that you need then they are available. Personally I am not aware of a specifically 'Kemp' distributor, but that does not mean that there wasn't one. We need a picture to help.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I agree with Bill. We need a photograph. If you are new to Vincents then you need to know that in 1954 Vincents produced the series 'D' bikes which incorporated lots of suggestions for improvements which had been garnered from VOC members and other Vincent riders. Changes were a fully sprung rear end, identical cylinder heads front and rear and coil ignition to aid starting. A distributor was used for the coil ignition with the coil fastened to the drive side of the crank case, above the primary chain cover. Many owners retro fitted this coil ignition system to aid low speed running and starting. The wiper arm inside the distributor is unusual in that it has an extension to its width on its outer edge to take into account the unequal firing intervals of the 50 degree vee twin engine. If it is this wiper arm that you need then they are available. Personally I am not aware of a specifically 'Kemp' distributor, but that does not mean that there wasn't one. We need a picture to help.
Some of those rotor arms where used in old mini cars, "british leyland", Cheers Bill.

alan wright

VOC Member
BONJOUR, I hope this helps. Ron Kemp fitted coil ignition to my 48 Rapide in 1991/2 to replace a magneto which was comprehensively butchered by FTW Motorcycles ( "the worst attempt at a mag repair I have ever seen" quote by Tony Stairs, London magneto wizard.)
Anyway, Ron told me at the time that the distributor came from a Fiat 500 of the period, with a matching 6 volt coil and condenser. The rotor arm was extended and I will try to add some photos. All these parts are still on the bike and have given over 26 years of faithful service with the exception of a condenser wire coming out in the wild forests of Vancouver Island !!
Having said all that I will be fitting the original mag (£600.00 later !!) in the next couple of weeks as I am still on the 6v Miller dynamo and wish to ride in the dark ! The whole coil ignition set-up will be for sale to include spare cap, coil, rotor, condenser and the ignition switch etc. Will not include ATD as this is needed for the new mag.Hope this helps,
Best regards, Alan

Attachments

• PC090001.JPG
    PC090001.JPG
    748.7 KB · Views: 94
  • PC090002.JPG
    PC090002.JPG
    667.2 KB · Views: 91
  • PC090005.JPG
    PC090005.JPG
    780.5 KB · Views: 85

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes Ron did make some of these not to be confused with a 'dizzy' which has bob weights this used a standard ATD. Also I remember some of my old Comets that Ron had a hand in back in the Aylesbury days used a Norton model 50 coil ignition base because Nortons had just come from magneto themselves and still had a 3 hole fixing. I also remember butchering one of those to incorporate two contact breakers on the back plate for my twin so it did away with a rotor arm and each point could be set seperatly with a single cam

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
BONJOUR, I hope this helps. Ron Kemp fitted coil ignition to my 48 Rapide in 1991/2 to replace a magneto which was comprehensively butchered by FTW Motorcycles ( "the worst attempt at a mag repair I have ever seen" quote by Tony Stairs, London magneto wizard.)
Anyway, Ron told me at the time that the distributor came from a Fiat 500 of the period, with a matching 6 volt coil and condenser. The rotor arm was extended and I will try to add some photos. All these parts are still on the bike and have given over 26 years of faithful service with the exception of a condenser wire coming out in the wild forests of Vancouver Island !!
Having said all that I will be fitting the original mag (£600.00 later !!) in the next couple of weeks as I am still on the 6v Miller dynamo and wish to ride in the dark ! The whole coil ignition set-up will be for sale to include spare cap, coil, rotor, condenser and the ignition switch etc. Will not include ATD as this is needed for the new mag.Hope this helps,
Best regards, Alan
I think I can see what Myron, Is saying, That looks like a home made rotor, If I remember the standard rotor for that distributor,Just had a small brass bit, Looks to me like Ron epoxeyed a brass bit off another rotor ?? , Maybe off a Mini, Cheers Bill.