Series 'B' Black Shadow

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Girdraulics

"Even good Homer nods." Occasionally. So you're forgiven........
I don't however see any fish rising to your tempting bait, so is this the time to say that Girdraulics were NOT made by Bristol, or should we wait...........

Right, I did forget the works van.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Girdraulic

It takes time but I have found the answer to Clevtrev. it is Roy Harpers The vincent HRD story page143 Quote. as we wanted to be sure of a first class job we asked the Bristol aircraft company Ltd.to quote for the manufacture of the first thousand sets of fork parts to be assembled by our own staff at Stevenage the contract was eventually placed with them to carry out this work the first few samples sets being received in the summer of 1948 as said by PCV

Somer

VOC Member
I use to own F10AB/1B/1328.It had girdraulics on it.It came out of Argentina in 1981.It was a bitsa.
Allegedly both 1320(1st production Lightning) and 1328 were dispatched down there because the market was such a good one at the time.
I believe their strategy was to put teasers in each market.As I remember ,there were some subtle differences in the Girdraulics.
As a previous poster stated,it wasn't cut and dry with a stop/start date.Even Series C's and D's overlapped.
There were Series B's built long after that.There were even a few Vincent embossed motors fitted with Bramptons in 1950.This was part of a ploy to make it look like there was a larger product line by Brockhouse.

Last edited:

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Transition Line

Lets look at this from the other side. Suppose all the (in this case) B's and C's were lined up, where would YOU put the dividing line between the two series?.

Phelps.

greg burt

Non-VOC Member
Girdraulic

I am Quoteing from a Book with Import Records.
Series" B" Rapide Engine F10AB/1/234.
Frame R2267. Arrived NZ 12.2.48 Sold 13.2.48.
Fitted with 'C' Series Forks,hydraulic Dampers and Lightning Cams
Greg

Somer

VOC Member
It would be interesting to see if that matched the build sheet.The numbers would make it a late 47.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
girdraulics

the first batch of girdraulics parts arrived at the vincent factory from Bristols same time in 1948 (PCI autobigraphy page 377) the first UFM to have the slot for damper 3500 engine number 1600 ??

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Nah ----- you've all got it wrong

First Shadow was /166 Reg JRO 101 ---- Oh sorry that was me just trying to one downmanship Bob Culver's bike!!!

Robert

Somer

VOC Member
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
Check the front page of your owner's manual. The 1st PRODUCTION Shadow was 1B/696.It was the first one with the B in the frame number.JR102 was the prototype.It had a 1B engine number.Regular frame number as I remember.
49682425_XeFiz-S.jpg

F10AB/!B/696