Series 'B' Black Shadow

Somer

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Note JR102 was the PROTOTYPE Shadow.
It had a 1B engine.Frame had no designation with a B.
My bike was the 1st PRODUCTION Shadow.Look inside the owner's manual.
Both bikes are lovely in my eyes (along with most Vincents).
398418638_kBFP6-L.jpg

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
First Shadow

OK, Somer, the prototype Shadow.......was sold on from the works with the number JRO 102. Culver saw it lying at the back of Conway's shop in the mid-eighties, and (by implication in the magazine article) recognised the number,and offered £2300 for it. It was decidedly shabby, and at the time a conkers Vincent might fetch £2000. A few weeks later, he was told "OK".
I remember in 1974 or so talking to a Glasgow motorcycle dealer, Bill Fleming, who complained that he simply wasn't able to shift "these old bikes" and pointed to two Rapides he had, priced at £250.
All together now: "if I'd known then what I know now, I'd be wealthy beyond dreams of avarice." But I didn't, and didn't have £250 anyway, so I'm not. At least not in terms of increasingly worthless money.

Somer

VOC Member
I remember reading that about the bike too. People use to be funny about B's.I had another B Sahdow that was difficult to sell. It was pretty original too.It had 132,000 miles on it! The sidecar springs had compressed down to regular length.

billnw

Forum User
VOC Member
Series C Black Shadow

Graham

I have Black Shadow Engine # 2164. Frame members are stamped with a C so it was made as a C shadow. Build sheet shows bramptons crossed out and Girdraulics written in. Rear frame has straight tabs like a B but measues as a C. I have heard that the first few hundred C RFM's were like this. Have also heard that there was at least one B Shadow with bramptons with a later number than mine, but that is just word of mouth. Don't know if this helps or confuses. I am just happy to have accumulated the frame memebers and engine over a period of some 8 years and in the processes of building the bike up.

Bill Weissman

Somer

VOC Member
There were some B's built in the fifties.They had "Vincent" crankcases.I had one.I think 4 were built.When they lengthened the RFMs they found that with the straight tabs the seat stays could go over center.Hence they put the curve in.
Your bike is consequently dangerous.I'll come up and collect it.:D

billnw

Forum User
VOC Member
Somer Thank you for your concern for my saftey. I would not want to endanger you so maybe it is best if I just send it to the s****per. :rolleyes:

When it is done if you don't think it is too dangerious I may let you take a ride.:cool: