Series 'A' Twin Magneto Drive Sprockets

billirwinnz

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone know of a source for these? I assume that any mag sprocket from a JAP or similar will be the correct taper and as long as there are a pair and the diameter is not too large they should work.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
G'day Bill, we met boarding the Tassie ferry a couple of years back. I remember posting the taper on the Forum in 2018. It is a German (Bosch?) standard from the early 1900's. 1 in 10 if I remember correctly. Generator taper is the same.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Neal Videan was involved with the A twin reps. A toothy belt conversion was made. Or sprocket blanks are cheap enough to machine up to suit.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Not being confident in machining tapers and getting the sprocket alignment right for my JAP engine I cheated by using blank sprockets and machining the centre parallel, one to take part of a centre from a scrap ATD unit and the other from a BSA twin dynamo sprocket with the teeth machined off.

This way I could press them in and out to get perfect alignment before welding them in place and re-hardening.

billirwinnz

VOC Member
G'day Bill, we met boarding the Tassie ferry a couple of years back. I remember posting the taper on the Forum in 2018. It is a German (Bosch?) standard from the early 1900's. 1 in 10 if I remember correctly. Generator taper is the same.
Hi Charlie
I remember our meeting. Now you are world famous on FB for having all the answers! Yes. 1 in 10. Interestingly I have an Italian magneto with a different taper but a French one 1:10.