FT: Frame (Twin) Seat Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denny653

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I recently retired after manufacturing restoration parts for Harley-Davidson's for 27 years. I have been selling off a number of motorcycles and now find a Rapide is in reach. My concern is seat height.

Harley's, especially '36-'57 rigid frame models have a low seat height. I recently sold a very nice R90S BMW because it had a tall seat height and I wound up never riding it. The BMW seat was mounted directly to the frame. I see on Vincents that there is a large gap between the seat and the frame.

Has anyone done modifications to lower the seat height?

Thank you for your time,

Dennis Corso
Ohio, USA

timetraveller

VOC Member
How tall are you? At 5'7" I have no trouble reaching the floor and there is at least one VOC member from Northampton who is several inches shorter than me and he rides a lot. Lowering the seat by either cutting down the 'rubber' height or making a new seat base which would be lower would both be possible but look at the movement of the rear mudguard before you lower the seat base.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Here is a good reference

In general if you want a lower seat height with a standard Vincent look for a Brampton B versus a C or D as they sit a bit lower as built. You can modify The seat foam and springing carefully as described above for a bit more help. Finally, if you are not dead set on originality, various solo seats such as the Pegusa seat have been used, eliminating the tool tray area, and don’t look too out of place to my eye.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have found seats are not all the same,
Sometimes too close to the tank etc,
If you make the photo bigger, You can see I have made a bracket to fit the front fitting,
You could make one a bit bigger to bring the seat down and back a bit ?.
There are also adjusters on the back fittings.
Also if it's a "C" you may be able to screw the fittings in a bit on the rear Spring boxes, Top and bottom.
Good luck, Bill.

Attachments

• 004 (3) (1).JPG
    004 (3) (1).JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 60

vibrac

VOC Member
I did fit a Pegusa solo ruber seat from an early BMW to the RFM and sidecar fitting tube this was a lot lower and very comfortable in the end I think thats the only way to go real low
1586780798093.png

oexing

VOC Member
This is exactly my plan for the B-Rapides, the rubber seat is way more comfortable than the Lycett and similar types. Do you have a detail photo of the Pagusa mounted on the Vincent ? I am expecting some troubles in anchoring the metalastic element there.

Vic

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Show us a side on photo of yours Denny, Some front fork springs are a bit long,
Makes the front a bit high. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
This is exactly my plan for the B-Rapides, the rubber seat is way more comfortable than the Lycett and similar types. Do you have a detail photo of the Pagusa mounted on the Vincent ? I am expecting some troubles in anchoring the metalastic element there.

Vic

I did modify the attachment later but I have no picture it later. It was all a development path for the trials comet outfit
That rubber pad on the mudguard was a carry over from my trials AJS
I first found out about the Pergusa on my BMW R25 such a comfortable seat
1586801841172.png

Denny653

VOC Member
Thanks for the responses. I am a non-owner member currently and am vaguely in the hunt for a Rapide. I spoke to a man this morning who is may be selling his to finance another bike. He is two hours away and I plan on visiting him as soon as the weather improves.

Has the government in GB said anything about motorcycle riding yet?
The governor of Michigan, a neighboring state, has banned motorcycle riding. She also has said that fishing is ok as long as your boat doesn't have a motor!

Status
Not open for further replies.