Misc: Everything Else Seat cover

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am about to have the seat on my “C” recovered. How is the seat cover dealt with on the area over the seat hump? Is it merely tucked in, or is it attached to the top of the seat hump by adhesive?

fogrider

VOC Member
I'm in the throes of re-building a seat and the old hump was screwed direct to the wood, the cover over it. There is a metal tube just above the hump, sort of stiffening and protecting the edge, so the cover is obliged to go on last. It was glued to the hump . On my sons bike, the cover was glued to the hump and an alloy strip screwed over the turned in cover, belt and braces style. It appeared to have been re-made before, but it seem a good way to do it to me.

Albervin

VOC Member
When I replaced the base on my original seat the cover was not glued to anything. The cover was double around the perimeter with two rows of tacks. The seat foam was date stamped and a note with someone's initials and a date.

fogrider

VOC Member
Good point Albervin, the one I'm doing was glued to the metal hump but raised head tacks into the wood, cloth turned over on itself very neatly, only one row of tacks, but so neat.
Female upholsterer ?
I doubt I can match it !

Jim Bush

VOC Member
Being of larger stature, I find the seat compartment on the stock Vin seat rather tight. Has anyone modified base to provide a larger bum area for the rider, sacrificing some of the pillion area. Thinking also that the foam be reworked for a lowered scalloped shape, allowing the rider to sit "in" the bike rather than "on" it - much like Corbin do for their seats. Or is there a custom seat available out there?

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
There is the longer seat available at the spares Co. I'm not sure how the extra 3" or so is divy'd up.
My Rapide seat was recently reupholstered by a professional. He used the existing foam squab as it is a "Dunlopillo" item. The upholsterer said they are the ultimate for comfort. It's probably 40 years old but was in perfect shape. It is very comfortable, even after 8 hrs

Glen

20230323_115701.jpg

Last edited:

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Being of larger stature, I find the seat compartment on the stock Vin seat rather tight. Has anyone modified base to provide a larger bum area for the rider, sacrificing some of the pillion area. Thinking also that the foam be reworked for a lowered scalloped shape, allowing the rider to sit "in" the bike rather than "on" it - much like Corbin do for their seats. Or is there a custom seat available out there?
I have a second seat that incorporates the standard Vincent frame attached to a frame that is not only longer for both rider & passenger portions but also incorporates closely spaced springs running lengthwise. I have tried it…it affords a very comfy ride, excellent for taller riders. I have no idea who made it - but it does not look home made.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
My standard seat whose cover was installed by an auto upholstery shop has screws into the sheet metal under the hump. It was done in 1987, so I don't remember what it looked like previously. I'll get a pic of my large seat that had its cover also installed by an auto upholstery shop and post it.

Original Seat.jpg

Ian Savage told me that the new large covers and squabs have the pillion portion to match the rider section.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Our Devon Man , b'knighted Had an early "King and Queen seat on his "D" ??,
Maybe P.M. Him ?.
Cheers Bill.