C: Clutch Sealing clutch cover with flat bottom

deejay499

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What remedies have people got for sealing a clutch cover with flat bottom for a multi plate clutch running in oil?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Glenn Shriver reports that he uses one for his wet clutch and “if his clutch needs a spacer, he’ll need two.”

b'knighted

VOC Member
Can you rotate the cover so that the flat section is no longer where the oil will pool. Making a round paper gasket which bridges the flat section to the top of the clutch housing may be sufficiently oiltight and the round section of the cover should not get scuffed when you're cornering with an outfit.

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi Ian. I have turned the cover round and there is a fair gap at the top, which I have put on with a wider gasket but still get a weep even with sealer. Tried cork, paper and Klingerite with some success, but it seems a bit of a bodge. Might try the Cometic gasket or thinking to make a thin alli spacer with a paper gasket each side.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Ian. I have turned the cover round and there is a fair gap at the top, which I have put on with a wider gasket but still get a weep even with sealer. Tried cork, paper and Klingerite with some success, but it seems a bit of a bodge. Might try the Cometic gasket or thinking to make a thin alli spacer with a paper gasket each side.
You might try a bead of RTV silicone around thte joint. If you let it go off before tightening the screws it forms a sort of rubber "O" ring. As it is the clutch there is no chance of any silicone getting into the engine oiling system.