C: Clutch Sealing clutch cover with flat bottom

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was flicking through my new book, Into The Millenium, and there was an bit about using RTV by, I think, Kim Sidorn. He suggests smearing the RTV onto a gasket and leaving it overnight to set, making a “rubber” faced gasket.
Using your idea of a thin aluminium spacer, “rubber” faced for the different contact areas on each side, rather than adding double sided paper gaskets on each side may be an even better solution.

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi all. I have been in touch with Paul Holdforth about the Cometic gasket and he sent a photo. I sent him photos of the gaps left when the cover is fitted, and he agreed that his gasket would not do the job. I have decided that the way to go is to have a round ally ring laser cut that will cover the gap. Thank you all for your help and advice. See photos below of the problem. The first is how I cut the gaskets up to now, the second is the gaps left with the cover fitted upside down. The tube over the top is the ‘D’ stand lifting handle.

Attachments

• 53393394-668A-438C-9844-913C92F65A04.jpeg
    53393394-668A-438C-9844-913C92F65A04.jpeg
    481.1 KB · Views: 70
  • C3874AF5-3F18-4703-8E34-AB665BFCEE93.jpeg
    C3874AF5-3F18-4703-8E34-AB665BFCEE93.jpeg
    932.8 KB · Views: 71

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Could you fit a Series B round clutch cover C28 with round gasket to suit, both in stock at club spares, if you ride solo forget about your so named chicken strips, mentioned on another thread.

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi Peter. Thanks. No, it is an outfit so the ‘B’ round cover could be the way to go, except having an ally spacer cut would be a lot cheaper. Might put one on my Birthday/Christmas present list. ?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That's Strange, Looked at mine with a flat bottom, And there is no gap, So you could just seal it. Cheers Bill.

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi Bill. I have learnt a lot these last couple of days and made the mistake of thinking they are all the same. Haven’t thought about trying my Shadow cover as it is drilled for coolness, but looking underneath, it matches a lot better. Perhaps common with ‘D’ cases.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If you buy a round cover, Didn't I read the holes are slightly different ?.
I bet they had a laugh at the Factory, " You wait, In a few years, They will have some fun trying to mend these ".
Cheers Bill.